Logo

2011 Tohatsu 40hp TLDI power trim problems.

Perch jerker

I am about to my wits end with my power trim. First of all, I love the motor. It's been a great engine and still runs great. But lately I've been fighting power trim issues. My ignorance to hydraulics probably made matters worse for me. Since the motor was new the trim unit sounded like it may have had air in it, but like I said, I was pretty ignorant to it, and it worked, so I didn't bother with it. Last year my trim motor quit working completely. I took the motor off and took it apart and one of the brushes was sticking. Cleaned it up and put it back together and it started working but whenever I was removing it I broke one of the bolt holes. When i reinstalled it, it leaked fluid from the motor seat I'm guessing because there wasn't enough compression on the o-ring. I took it off again and put some epoxy there and drilled a new hole, this worked good the first time I used it but then the epoxy came loose and it started leaking again, upon losing fluid the motor also quit working again. So once again I took it off and apart. The brush was stuck again in the motor. Cleaned it off and back together. I made a bushing for the bolt hole to compress the fit. This worked good. Yesterday when I reinstalled I filled with fluid and when i let it down and picked back up it started leaking on the ram cylinder housing where its connected with the 4 allen head screws. I guess what I'm asking is, did the air in the system blow the o-ring? Aside from being very expensive for a new unit, I don't think I could remove the unit because the bottom pin is corroded in the motor bracket housing. Im afraid I would break the aluminum housing trying to get the pin out. So if there's any way possible to get this thing going it would be fantastic. Thanks for any help.

Doubtful that you over pressurized. You can get a new o-ring kit:
3Z5772250MO-RING SET$16.72

Thanks for the reply, Paul. Any idea of what may have cause the fluid to start leaking past the o-rings. Just want to make sure if it's something I did, not to do it again. Also, what kind of fluid is recommended for the trim?

Back