Logo

1999 60HP Johnson questions

Beowulf77

Hey everyone, this is my first boat and I haven't done much the past few years except change the lower unit oil. I have a couple of questions about it. It runs great.

1) I found a four-socket plug next to the flywheel(?) that is unplugged. Is this a bad thing? I tried to attach a pic but the upload pic doesn't seem to be working for me.

2) I took the control box off and set it down in the seat, and now my engine idles faster. I looked and it seems the tension in the throttle(?) cable no longer allows it to fully touch the idle screw. I may be using the wrong terms this is all new to me. I adjusted the throttle cable tension so that it settled against the screw but now to go full throttle I have to take the throttle control to the floor so to speak.

3) For maintenance what do you recommend I do? I am a fast learner and pretty handy. I don't know of any maintenance that was done before 2015. Plugs? Carb? Stuff that might be entry level easy so I can get my bearings.

Thank you very much

Do a compression test and write down your numbers for reference.----Install a new impeller in the water pump.-----Do you mix gas / oil at 50:1 on this motor ?

Can you see where it plugs in right by your fingers ???-----That be for the " no oil " warning module on the VRO pump.-----The VRO pump is now used as a fuel pump with oil side blocked off.

Can you see where it plugs in right by your fingers ???-----That be for the " no oil " warning module on the VRO pump.-----The VRO pump is now used as a fuel pump with oil side blocked off.

Ah ok. I was just reading about VRO thanks for that. I don't see an external tank so you are saying they bypassed it and guess had to disconnect and disable I guess. So keep premixing... Good stuff thank you.

How hard is changing the impeller? I am going to search the forum and see if that is a dumb question. lol

Last edited:
Back