Logo

Spark plug gaps closed

Wow, no wonder why you run a 3 hp, my friend. There are 400 horsepowers out now..... Almost better to measure the fuel economy by how many gallons per mile.....not miles per gallon.

Yep, well 3hp and 20hp are just good for me. 400 horsepower?? oh huh. Here in Finland, many people like to have bigger and bigger engine too. For me, it is just enough to visit for nice boat trip without hurry and eat some packet lunch during drive, and enjoy the trip.

When are you ever going to run this motor.????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Everyone's life is messed up now. Probably no time to check in with us. Maybe he has a restaurant or bar somewhere. We shut down our coffee shop in Philippines too.

O well, I guess I'm just pissing in the wind wanting to hear from you. I just don't under stand !!

Last edited:
Here's my take on it Boobie. The guy that sold it noticed weak spark and in order to get it to run he closed the plug gaps intentionally. Our new buyer then purchased it and a while later went to take it out and of course the ignition system continues to fail. Probably a bad stator. with all this serious crap going around our OP probably has other concerns now. For me and my family nothing much change except for no firewood orders and no repair work. Everyone seems to be holding on to their panties. So I've been sewing masks for when we go into town. Wear your mask and people automatically stay distance........ If they get too close I just cough!

Haven't had to do that down here yet but I'm sure it's coming. Wonder when all this crap is going to stop. Even my local tavern is closed and that has me pissed !!!!

I still would like to get an answer from the OP on what happened.

If you look under the posting display box (The box Im typing in right now.)you will see "Additional Options".

In that space you will see "Subscription" where you can click the box, then submit reply and you will get updates when someone adds a post.

UPDATE. I finally caught a break in the weather. The ;boat ran great after spark plug change. Did a lot of running at full throttle. No miss, and no problems idling. I took all four plugs out when I got home and the gaps are fine no change. Not sure what caused the original problem but as of now all is well. thank you all for your help. I will be posting again.

Sorry for the long delay. For some reason I stopped getting a message in my in box telling me someone posted to this thread. Things have been crazy with the kiddo out of school and work hit or miss. I will try to keep an eye on this thread if you have any questions for me. If the problem repeats itself I will be sure to reach out. Thanks again.

Thats good to hear.

I suspect shoddy maintenance practices. The gaps being off initially didnt cause a problem until excess carbon came into play.

2 strokes can do some weird things concerning spark plugs/ignition.

Yes thanks for the report. Too close of a gap is hard to imagine getting done by mistake, but stranger things have happened. Maybe the guy had poor vision and Parkinson's......dropped 3 of the plugs and put them right into the motor.????

Yes thanks for the report. Too close of a gap is hard to imagine getting done by mistake, but stranger things have happened. Maybe the guy had poor vision and Parkinson's......dropped 3 of the plugs and put them right into the motor.????

I agree sounds kinda fishy that it would happen for no reason. With that being said 1 of the 4 new plugs I bought was about crimped closed. I will continue to check them every time I take it out until I'm convinced it is not going to repeat itself. Thanks again for all the help.

Finally got this fixed about a month ago and wanted to reply incase it helped someone else with same problem. There was a module in the top of the motor that had malfunctioned. The mechanic called it a power pack. It was causing it not to fire correctly. According to him, they will run well at first but when it heats up you start to see the loss of power and missing. This was diagnosed by a marine mechanic. Once it was replaced the boat ran like a top. Idles a little high now that it is running correctly. I have checked plugs several time sense I posted this originally and no problems with gapping. I'm not a boat mechanic by any means but the part itself was around 100$ and installation cost me just shy of 200. I have watched a few videos sense and it looks like it is as simple as unplugging one and plugin up the new one. Only had it on the water a few times sense I will let you know if it acts up again. Huge thanks to everyone that contributed to this post.

Back