Logo

Wiring Assistance

NStevenson

Hello folks. I recently purchased a Pelican Bass Raider 10E. I have a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide TM that I'll mount on the bow and group size 24 12v deep cycle battery that I'll keep at the rear, for weight balance. The boat is pre-wired with 8 gauge wire, and the TM has 10 gauge wire. I picked up a 3 prong plug to connect to the end of the TM wires. My question is: will the differing size wire gauges pose any issues while operating? I also plan on getting one of the fancy schmancy battery boxes that have the 60 amp circuit breaker built in. I'm a complete novice when it comes to electrical FYI. Looking for any guidance and appreciate the help! Go Army, beat Navy.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect any issue with the different sized wires as long as they are 'adequate'....and the MinnKota documentation should be able to verify that. Wire size determines the voltage drop the motor will see and you want to minimize it.

The group 24 size may be too small but that will depend on how you use the motor; again, the MK documentation should give you some insight there. I'd suggest trying the 24 before you buy the box for it....if you need to go to a 27, there's no point in buying a box for a 24....

When it comes to wiring on a boat, you want to ensure every connection is made with proper hardware - if you crimp connector ends, get a good toll and marine grade crimp connectors with the integrated heat shrink tube. unsealed connectors will allow the moisture to corrode the connection which will degrade it causing voltage drops and eventually the circuit won't pass the necessary current for the device to run properly....

I wouldn't expect any issue with the different sized wires as long as they are 'adequate'....and the MinnKota documentation should be able to verify that. Wire size determines the voltage drop the motor will see and you want to minimize it.

The group 24 size may be too small but that will depend on how you use the motor; again, the MK documentation should give you some insight there. I'd suggest trying the 24 before you buy the box for it....if you need to go to a 27, there's no point in buying a box for a 24....

When it comes to wiring on a boat, you want to ensure every connection is made with proper hardware - if you crimp connector ends, get a good toll and marine grade crimp connectors with the integrated heat shrink tube. unsealed connectors will allow the moisture to corrode the connection which will degrade it causing voltage drops and eventually the circuit won't pass the necessary current for the device to run properly....

Outstanding, thank you very much for your help. I've got some heat shrink crimp connectors but can't say if they're specifically marine grade. Do you recommend to go ahead and get the MG ones, or will standard heat shrink ones wrapped well with electrical tape do the job? I spoke to a MK rep and was told I should be fine with the 24. I'll likely not keep it running wide open for long at all, and probably run it at or less than 75% power.

Thanks again.

on the connectors, a tinned, solid copper crimp barrel with double wall heat shrink tube is usually what the good marine grade terminal made of....they are adequate by themselves, no tape needed.

Back