Logo

Honda bf 8 1987 with 10hpowerhead problem. 2nd post ion this.

wetsailor

Good day everyone. I came across an old Honda outboard, eight horsepower, and the power head was salt encrusted so much that water would not circulate. The specs on it were a BF8AHLA, frame id# BACL 1000542. Model year 1987.
I removed the power head, and replaced it with a 10 horsepower head.
The 8 horsepower head had a CDI ignition system, the 10 horsepower head has a points ignition system.
I researched all the parts from one to the other, bought new parts for any differences I found except the flywheel.
I notice that all used flywheels for sale claimed to be for the 7.5, for the 8, and for the 10 horsepower motors. Even though the part numbers from honda were different they all look the same.
I installed a brand new coil, points and condenser, wired the motor exactly are shown in the Manual, timed it according to the Manual, confirmed delivery of fuel to the cylinders, and the damn thing won't start.
I built a small manifold to hold the spark plugs outside of the engine, and got spark. I rechecked the timing. Reinstalled the plugs.
It still does not start. I began to search for advice from Honda dealers, shade tree mechanics, used parts sales companies, and no one was able to confirm or deny any issue that I might have had with the flywheel or anything else.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I think I answered your first post about this and, obviously, I must have not had the info you needed.

You have fuel.....you have spark.....good!

Do you have compression? Not the "stick your finger in the hole and feel pressure" compression but measured with a gauge compression. If it's not over 125psi, it may never start. On a hot day a low compression engine MIIGHT start and run but I wouldn't count on it.

The other thing is timing. I'm not sure how using the incorrect flywheel might affect timing on one of these twins but it's something to consider. The magnets in the flywheel are where timing begins in these ol girls.

You can have good spark but if it happens at the wrong time, it won't fire the engine.
Most old car mechanics remember what a distributor is and they can tell you what happens if you take one out and put it back "180° out".......NOTHING! Great spark-yes, engine start-no.

One outside the box thought on this is the old 10 powerhead itself. Why was it lying around in the first place? It's kind of "out there" in the realm of possibilities for this but what if the crankshaft had a slight twist in it?
Answer: Spark timing will be off.

I wish you luck.

Back