Logo

Mercury 50hp 2 stroke.

Loafty

I just recently got told my mercury outboard was made between 1975 - 1981, can anyone tell me were I can please get instructions and diagrams on how to remove bottom of motor and get to water pump to replace an impeller. Never worked on outboard motor and have no idea what to do. Thanks loafty

Put control in forward.------Remove nuts holding the lower unit on.-----Remove trim tab to get at one hidden bolt.-----Lower unit should now slide off.

Thanks, when looked on net a lot say remove 4 large bolts but when look at my motor can only see 2 at rear and then at front i have a rubber plug right at front then there is the trim which you say remove to get to hidden bolt is that all do you think.
If I do remove lower unit and do the impeller is it as easy as I have seen on net to put the long shaft back in or is there more to it. I would include picture of my lower motor but not sure if can do it here. Just don't want to stuff up the motor. Thanks again for your reply

Keep looking on YOO TUBE till you find a tutorial for your exact motor.----Best approach in this case.----Or bring it over I think I can do it blind folded.

Been looking everywhere on net for clip which shows exact motor but can't find one anywhere worse luck. What area do yu live on just in case struck trouble can bring to you, looks straight forward so I hope so. Than k's for advice greatly appreciated

Been looking everywhere on net for clip which shows exact motor but can't find one anywhere worse luck. What area do yu live on just in case struck trouble can bring to you, looks straight forward so I hope so. Than k's for advice greatly appreciated[

Hi racerone, well I took the bottom out today and took water pump off the impeller was worn, tight and blades weren't evenly round the inside of pump. I had to order another impeller and get it Wednesday and will try and put it back in. But when I removed the top of water pump there were no rubber washes either top or bottom of the impeller so assume doesn't have them, I put the hose on the tube that connects to pump and switched the water on and water flowed straight through so there doesn't seem any blockages there, I also replaced the top and bottom gaskets so fingers crossed it is the impeller.

Back