Logo
Click for Volvo Penta parts and manuals!

Thread: 290 sp rebuild

Default 290 sp rebuild

If I have my outdrive off the boat what are the maintenance items I should look to do at the same time?

Robert

Default Re: 290 sp rebuild

bellows and water inlet fitting

Drain the gear oil and perform a Pressure/Vacuum leak down test.
    While testing, turn the input gear, the prop shaft and move the eccentric piston in both directions.

Ditto replacing the water neck fitting and the drive shaft bellows.
    Rick ... aka Ricardo..... AQ series Volvo Penta repair
    Portland, Oregon
    28' SDN F/B w/ twin Volvo Penta 5.7L DP drives

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." Albert Einstein

Please... no PMs! Post your questions on the forum.

Robert, when doing this service work, there is no need to remove the entire drive.
    However, since you have removed the entire drive, when going back together, remove the transmission and install the Intermediate housing (with lower unit attached) first! Then install the transmission and new drive shaft bellows last.
    Much easier that way.

You will need 4 new OEM O-rings.
    1 dip stick O-ring
    1 drain plug O-ring
    (both of which are the same)

1 large bearing O-ring
    1 oil drain-back tube O-ring

DO NOT use the Sierra bellows kit band clamps (the type with the worm drive slots cut into and through the band)
    Instead, use the OEM, of which are the Euro style (no cuts through the band)

Most likely you will find that the eccentric piston seal is not holding, and will need to be replaced.
    NOTE: this seal is directional!

If your eccentric piston is like the one shown in fig #10, the detent "spring pin" (J) must be retrieved.
    If you've not done one before, post back and I'll offer you a few tips regarding this.

Portland, Oregon

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." Albert Einstein

Thanks guys. What about things in front of the outdrive? Any bearings, cables etc that should be replaced?
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Rscottdds View Post
    Thanks guys. What about things in front of the out drive? Any bearings, cables etc that should be replaced?
    Robert

Yes, if no history of the PDS bearings having been replaced, you most definitely want to replace them.
    A failure at this area will be catastrophic and very costly.

Portland, Oregon

Ok thanks. Sounds like there are either one or two of these. I’m the second owner (two years) and there is no history to tell me if they were replaced by the original owner. I Think the original engine was an AQ260A and was replaced with a Kodak Marine 350 in the 1996. Dies any of that tell you if I have one or two bearings? Any other way to tell? Serial# of outdrive is 29007051B.
    -Robert

Ok thanks. Sounds like there are either one or two of these. Iím the second owner (two years) and there is no history to tell me if they were replaced by the original owner. I Think the original engine was an AQ260A and was replaced with a Kodak Marine 350 in the 1996. Dies any of that tell you if I have one or two bearings? Any other way to tell? Serial# of outdrive is 29007051B.
    -Robert
    If you have the red 1 pc Flywheel Cover (bell housing in the auto world) and with a grease fitting at the 12:00 O'clock position........ or, if you have a red Borg Warner flywheel cover with the Borg Warner -slash- Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing, with a grease fitting at the 12:00 O'clock position, you will have a double bearing PDS.
    The engine must be removed in order to replace these two bearings/seals.

If you have a charcoal grey 1 pc Flywheel Cover with NO grease port, you will have a single bearing PDS.
    The engine does NOT need to be removed in order to replace the single bearing.

Portland, Oregon

Yeah. I have a zerk fitting on mine. Can’t remember if it’s red or not but I guess that doesn’t matter :-). How do I find out what gear ratio I have or do most 350’s have the same ratio?
    Robert

............ How do I find out what gear ratio I have or do most 350’s have the same ratio?
    Robert
    See your other thread.

Portland, Oregon

I was able to tighten up a sloppy shift engagement point on mine by installing a thin washer on the fitting on the end on the shift cable under the cotter pin at the point that it attached to the shift mech on the drive. The OD of this washer should be such as to not interfere with the full travel of the shift cable going into FWD.
    Capt Bob
    1969 23ft ChrisCraft Lancer
    Merc 5.7L 260HP/ Volvo 280

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoMarine View Post
    If you have the red 1 pc Flywheel Cover (bell housing in the auto world) and with a grease fitting at the 12:00 O'clock position........ or, if you have a red Borg Warner flywheel cover with the Borg Warner -slash- Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing, with a grease fitting at the 12:00 O'clock position, you will have a double bearing PDS.
    The engine must be removed in order to replace these two bearings/seals.
    Can you replace the aft most bearing without removing the engine?
    Robert

Unfortunately, no.... not unless you could some how pull on the PDS and get it to come free from and out of the FWD bearing.

Some of the old Donzi, Eaton and Holman Moody PDSs were internally threaded for a puller tool, but not the Volvo Penta.
    Portland, Oregon

Is there a way to tell what spline spindle is used in this outdrive? The mechanic I talked to said they come in either 10 or 26 flute. The boat was built in 1985 so the outdrive is about the same age. At least I think I understood him correctly.
    Robert.

Typically by 1985, the AFT PDS splines (as well as the internal female yoke splines) were fine splines.
    Once you remove the transmission, you will know.

Regarding the work and bearings/seals (for the Volvo Penta units), they will be the same for either spline count.
    Portland, Oregon