Logo

1984 John 15 HP

MarkSH

I am currently replacing the upper mounts on my new to me '84 Johnson 15 hp (J15RCRM). My question, is there supposed to be clearance between the upper thrust mount (0338631) and the upper mounts plate (0339613)

This is illustrated by the middle blue arrow in the picture, borrowed from LeeRoy's Ramblings (below)

Like the one in the photo, my plate "concaves" out towards the rear of the outboard. The rubber thrust mount can't fall out but its not held tightly in place...is this by design?

Thanks!

If you haven't figured it out yet, can to try to post the pictures again
....don't see them. I have rebuilt these mounts myself before, they work better than OEM. I use nylon reinforced fuel hose.

The clearance is normal as it is intended to just be a "limiter".....so the other more expensive mounts can "dampen", but not tear out. Oil, gas are the culprits that damage these mounts. If the operator uses ethanol fuels I feel it certainly aggravates things.....especially when the motor is tilted up and down alot, like in the case of a "kicker". Fuel mix spills out the carb a few drops each time and some of it ends up on the rubber mounts. Ethanol likes to soften and eat rubber compositions as well as many plastics.

Back