Logo

1973 Evinrude 65hp - Replacing vintage tilt/trim motor/reservoir/pump

favabeans

Hey folks! I'm grateful this forum exists!

We have a 1973 65HP Evinrude 65373R outboard with what looks like a vintage tilt/trim/pump unit on it that has stopped working. Well, the tilt motor whirrs (well, it did until I opened it up trying to troubleshoot, but that's okay b/c it was pretty rusty anyways) - so the motor whirred but the outboard never moved up or down. We'd have to manually lift it up and down with the motor running to get it to move (NOT EASY). I'd like to replace everything (motor/reservoir/pump) and -think- I've found one that will work but I thought I'd post here first to see if it'd work...

The replacement I think/hope will work: https://www.amazon.com/Products-2-Wire-4-Hose-Compatible-Suzuki/dp/B07QLW4MCM
Wire harness I think I'll need b/c my connector is in a harness with blue/green/black wires: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TK28RZ8?ref=myi_title_dp

Pics of what I have now: https://imgur.com/a/GZvDdVh

Last edited:
We don’t need to lift it while underway... I’m not even sure the one we have will do that. Are there other things that make you think it won’t work?

If the electric motor ran, the oil pump was turning also. More likely low on fluid or if full, air in the system.

If the electric motor ran, the oil pump was turning also. More likely low on fluid or if full, air in the system.

I filled up the reservoir as instructed in many YouTube videos and with the motor running manually lifted it up and down 4 times, each time opening the fill.. etc... still could not get it to move on its own. Didn’t see any oil coming out of anywhere else but not sure about an air leak...

I filled the reservoir. - With the motor running, lifted it up and down 4 times, each time opening the fill. Still could not get it to move on its own.

On that 1973 model I assume you have the PTT unit that consists of a huge electric motor just outside of the starboard transom mount bracket... and the two lift cylinders also just outside of the two transom mount brackets.

If on the other hand, you have the type that has just one lifting ram and a small electric motor, I'd suspect you simply have a "Tilt" only unit.

However in any case, make sure the manual release valve is shut, then try the following to eliminate a possible air lock under the oil pump. Worth a shot.
(PTT Oil Pump Air Lock)
(J. Reeves)

When the PTT unit is as it should be, the electric motor runs, the manual release valve is closed, the unit is full of lubricant, and nothing works, the usual problem is an air lock under the oil pump Proceed with the following.

Engine in full tilt position. Remove reservoir fill plug screw. Insert a air nozzle up against the reservoir fill hole with rags (or something) packed around it to obtain a tight fit. Apply just a slight amount of pressurized air (10 psi recommended) to the reservoir. This will force the oil under the oil pump to remove the air lock. DO NOT go crazy with the air pressure (15 psi tops!).

I found this - https://www.apimarine.com/marine-electrical/johnson-evinrude-chrysler-suzuki-trim-pump-1981-89.html - after cross referencing the part number on the reservoir with the API cross reference doc I found online. Do you guys have any thoughts on this working or not? Seems like it would. I also have some pics of the disassembled pump that looks like it needs replacing. One ball bearing seems jammed into one of its holes (the other one came out freely) and the pump looks like a piece broke off it internally... pics are posted here... notice in the first pic, right side - the crack or piece that broke off. You can see it from other angles in other pics..

https://imgur.com/gallery/vjJNUAs

On that 1973 model I assume you have the PTT unit that consists of a huge electric motor just outside of the starboard transom mount bracket... and the two lift cylinders also just outside of the two transom mount brackets.

If on the other hand, you have the type that has just one lifting ram and a small electric motor, I'd suspect you simply have a "Tilt" only unit.

However in any case, make sure the manual release valve is shut, then try the following to eliminate a possible air lock under the oil pump. Worth a shot.
(PTT Oil Pump Air Lock)
(J. Reeves)

When the PTT unit is as it should be, the electric motor runs, the manual release valve is closed, the unit is full of lubricant, and nothing works, the usual problem is an air lock under the oil pump Proceed with the following.

Engine in full tilt position. Remove reservoir fill plug screw. Insert a air nozzle up against the reservoir fill hole with rags (or something) packed around it to obtain a tight fit. Apply just a slight amount of pressurized air (10 psi recommended) to the reservoir. This will force the oil under the oil pump to remove the air lock. DO NOT go crazy with the air pressure (15 psi tops!).

Last edited:
Back