Logo

eBay junk impeller - blown water pump 2012 BF115

eltravisto

Thought I would share. Maybe this is flukey but nothing else was going on that my little brain could contribute this too.

Here are pictures of a 5 month old impeller (about 60 hours) completely shredded. It was some $15 dollar part of eBay... seemed like a good idea at the time. It got so hot it has welded some of the pump housing to the cup, so I'm tossing it all. Luckily I found this out when I was doing some routine stuff, this would have been a bummer if I was on the water.

-Impeller walls were lightly greased when installed
-Air temp about 55 deg F
-boat had been in the water 3 weeks ago, no issues

From now one I will only buy OEM Honda.

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Although I am in favor of using all oem parts and oils, your damage was caused by running the engine with no water to the pump. This will happen to any impeller, oem or aftermarket..... if there is no water.

It's been my experience that none of the big Honda outboards do well on muffs unless they are super well sealed with very high water pressure - more than you get from the typical residential pipes.

Not really. I use a super large plastic trash can with a spigot drain on the bottom. To get enough height, I use two or three pallets, stacked. So, once filled, I keep the filler hose going and open the spigot to match the inflow from the hose. In this manner, the water doesn't get overheated.

Well, there are many websites on the internet where you can find a water pump. You have to be careful and choose wisely for a website where products are not overpriced. Also, I can suggest you use different discount coupons like the one found on https://www.dontpayfull.com. Even if it sounds strange, these coupons can quickly help you save hundreds of dollars on other products found on the internet. Check it out by yourself.

I doubt this was the impeller's fault. I had an OEM impeller and pump housing on one of my Honda 225s that looked far worse than that after attempting to run it on rectangular muffs. The top of the plastic housing actually had a hole melted in it and the metal insert was exposed. I was trying to figure out why the exhaust was smoking excessively when the overheat alarm went off--it wasn't exhaust smoke, but my impeller frying. I had to get the whole pump housing and everything. Only around $80 or so on partspak.com for the whole pump kit. I just use a trash can now instead of muffs. I find that it's actually easier to carry a huge trash can around and fill it up than it is to get a tight enough fit with muffs to properly flush.

It does look like lack of water. I'm too chicken to use anything other than OEM parts....even on my cars/truck!!
I use a similar water set up as Chawk_man. I purchased one of the blue 55gal plastic drums for food products, cut top off, and it works perfect with the hose inlet near top and hose bib near bottom.

And what did you expect for that price? eBay frequently sells defective stuff and it's nothing extraordinary about that. I saw the comment about doubting that it's the impeller's fault. Maybe he's right, but once again, as I see on the pic, the mechanism itself is defective. Unfortunately, I've recently ordered one of the automatic parts on eBay and it lasted just 2 months before breaking. I purchased it on eBay via china post because I hoped it's gonna come to me asap, but were dissapointed with the end with that product. Btw, OEM Honda is a great product and it's better to use it instead of anything else for cheaper price, you're right.

Back