Logo

4.3 mercruiser

Tyler1992

Hello I’m new here and need alittle help, I got a 1989 Larson 20 inboard with 4.3 mercruiser, so the motor is seized up I tried soaking the cylinders and didn’t free up, so now I was thinking off taking all the marine stuff from the block that I have now and pull a 4.3 from a car and swap all the marine stuff on it, I’m not sure if you can do that, I have a few friends saying you can then I have a few saying some of the 4.3 blocks are alittle different, by the way I am a mechanic so I’m alittle knowledgeable about this stuff so I know all 4.3 are the same that I know of. I’m just wondering if I can pull a car engine and swap some stuff over to make it work? Is it possible?

thank you. My name is Tyler

Ayuh,..... Hi Tyler,..... Donno why you didn't post this in the Mercuiser forum, rather than Marine Power, a different manufacturer,.....

The 4.3l went through quite a few changes over the years,......

Startin' from scratch like you are, I suggest ya look for a post-'96, which are the Vortec motors,....
Then up-grade/ adapt it to fit yer application,....
At a minimum, you'll need an electric fuel pump, properly installed, 'n the Vortec intake manifold to match the heads,....

If you start with a truck 4.3l, you'll need to change the core plugs to brass or ssteel, up-graded head gaskets,....
The cam will work just fine, from the truck,....

Back