Logo

VRO Johnson

LaGuille

Hello,
First, sorry for my bad English. I'm French :) And I'm not very confortable with English language ;)

I have just acquired a 40hp Johnson engine (2000)
BJ40ESSM

It starts very well. But I have a problem.
I don’t know where to connect the electrical cable of the oil tank.
There’s no plug on my engine.
However, I see two cables at the back, the same color as the oil tank cable. Is that it? I sent you pictures.

And what does mean "do not connect wires to battery internal tank" ?

1.png

2.png

3.png
4.png

Thank you so much for your help !!!
Damien

Wire from oil tank resembles lamp corn... one smooth, the other has ridges (usually). Memory has it that smooth connects to engine ground... ridged one connects to any of the "Tan" sensor wires.

Thank you so much Joe ! It's nice !

By chance, if someone has the technical manual of this johson 40 hp (2000) I will. thank you all !
The French ;)

Is the oil injection system in service ?-----Bypassed , yes , no or not sure ?-----Mix at 50:1 if you are not sure of the status at this time !

Is the oil injection system in service ?-----Bypassed , yes , no or not sure ?-----Mix at 50:1 if you are not sure of the status at this time !

Hi Racerone. I haven’t restarted the engine yet.
In the meantime, some advised me to remove the VRO. I think sailing with a mix actually, it will be safer.

I haven’t restarted the engine yet... Some advised me to remove the VRO... I think running with a mix actually will be safer.

If the fuel pump portion of the VRO is functional, use it as a straight 50/1 mixture fuel pump as follows:
(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Thank you so much Joe !

I understood everything. Point 1, 2 ans 3 ! That's clear.
But, I understood nothing about the last point hahaha
My English and my motor knowledge are limited:D

Can you explain me what is "ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head" please ??? Thank you so much

On the cylinder head there is a sender unit and to test the overheating system warning light or buzzer, you simply briefly ground that wire out with the ignition key in the on/run position.

On the cylinder head there is a sender unit and to test the overheating system warning light or buzzer, you simply briefly ground that wire out with the ignition key in the on/run position.

Thank you timguy, I understand now. Just... Where is the ground in this engine ? I prefer to ask :)

Back