Logo

Analog to digital engine instrumentation-318

trojanboater

I'm needing to replace tachs and some other senders/gauges on my twin engine/dual station boat. After comparing costs and other factors I'm considering ditching the analog gauges, installing an analog to digital unit (Noland RS11, and using a display unit (Simrad Is42) for engine display. Anyone have experience with this type of install? Been searching other forums and other than initial setup it looks to be a great alternative to analog gauges.

Thanks

Last Year I installed the NoLand RS11 and a Garmin touch screen. Install and setup was easy, had one bug with port RPM but NoLand was great help. Been working very well and overall very pleased with it.

dash.jpg

So, when your BIG screen blows a fuse, not only are you lost you now know nothing about your engines???
Forgive me... spent too many years as a design engineer on mission critical systems, where folks spend $ for redundancy to insure information and seamless operation.,, and the thought of a single failure leaving me lost and unaware of my engine status frightens me... but that's just me.. I'm a curmudgeon of a retired engineer and charter licensee .. your tolerance for "interesting situations" may vary.

Last edited:
not to mention the 2x (at least) cost premium to achieve said state-of-the-art display system....with all of its features...

So, when your BIG screen blows a fuse, not only are you lost you now know nothing about your engines???
Forgive me... spent too many years as a design engineer on mission critical systems, where folks spend $ for redundancy to insure information and seamless operation.,, and the thought of a single failure leaving me lost and unaware of my engine status frightens me... but that's just me.. I'm a curmudgeon of a retired engineer and charter licensee .. your tolerance for "interesting situations" may vary.
It's really not a big screen and if it fails I won't be lost. If it does fail I can pull up engine data on other displays on the network. If the network fails then the analog gauges in the engine room are the backup. I went with screens vs replacing all the gauges on a twin engine/dual station boat. As well as fuel flow measuring and display. Engine manufactures have been using displays for a long time now and you see almost zero new boats with analog.

not to mention the 2x (at least) cost premium to achieve said state-of-the-art display system....with all of its features...
The price point was what drove my decision. It's far cheaper, easier and a far better product to go digital than replace 12 + gauges and wiring. As well as being on the network this display provides redundancy on others.

Back