Logo

2006 Honda 150 oil around flywheel

Hi-
Last year I had lots of fine powdery dust (grey) in the flywheel / starter motor area. There was so much there that the starter motor would growl and then finally after a few weeks it just would not work at all. Pulled the starter and I devised a vacuem tube and removed most (I think) of the loose dusty and caked residue. Then used compressed air to blow to blow out the remainder. Starter worked fine for the rest of the season. (maybe put 20 hours on the motor for the rest of the season)

Just removed the starter to see if any more dust had appeared and now I have oil surrounding the flywheel, there is also a fair amount of what looks like dust which has soaked up oil and is in the flywheel cavity. It all looks like gummy dark oil. Oil level on the dipstick looks good (no contamination there in the crankcase). The oil in the crankcase is gold and the level seems OK.

Without digging into the manual and fiquring if I have the mechanical skills to fix this issue, I thought I'd ask the experts about the cause.

Thx
Jimmy
Lopez Island WA.

Back