Logo

2002 Johnson 50 bottom carb dripping fuel when choking/priming

Patrick Case

Hello everyone. I am a new member to the forum. This is my first post. Marine Engine.com has been so helpful to me in supplying parts and information for my 2002 Johnson 50hp J50PLSNF. They suggested I join the forum and post a question I cannot figure out or find an awnser to.
I just finished rebuilding the two carburetors and had great success with them. Before the carb rebuilds, the engine had to be choked to death and needed hi amounts of throttle applied (out of gear) to start engine. Once engine was semi-warm and running, it ran great.. but getting to that point was nearly impossible. Previously, I did have a repetitive issue with a mixture of 2 stroke oil & gas leaking (pretty heavily) from under the engine cover and trickling down the engine toward to lower unit. Very messy and required a lot of clean up each time I returned home from the lake. The carburetor rebuilds resolved all the issues in cranking, and most of the leaking fuel..
However, now when starting engine with the engine cover off, I press inward on the key switch to choke. Instantly, I see a few drops of fuel dripping from the bottom carburetor (or in the vicinity.) This problem has only been noticed (so far) when applying the electric choke/prime. I have searched and searched for the source of the drip with no luck.
Anyone who has had & fixed this problem, or knows what to look for to correct the issue, I would be so Appreciative to receive your input.
Thanks in advance for any help offered. It is very nice to join you all on the forum.

Patrick Case

That primer unit is an electric valve that opens to put fuel into the carburetor throat via those wee hoses.----Check those hoses for leaks.----Possibly the hose from the fuel pump that supplies that primer is leaking.---Or the primer itself has a leaking o-ring on it.----Should be an easy fix.-----Engine should be cranking when you push in the key !!

Thanks so much racerone. Makes perfect sense. I am removing the primer valve now to check for faulty hoses/leaks. I sincerely appreciate your help!

Back