Logo

New Crusader 7.4L?

killerbe20

I was just at the Miami boat show last week and the Pleasure Craft Marine booth had a factory brand new Crusader 7.4L. I thought i took pictures of the specs but can not find them now. I figured it would be easy to look up after I returned from the show but I can not find any info on it. I do recall the HP rating being 475 which I thought was pretty crazy. Has anyone else "in the know" seen this or know any thing about it? If this is reality I was wondering how this would do as a 8.2L MPI replacement

Crusader hasn't had a new production 7.4L for sale for a while....the only exception may be a dealer that has old stock.....PCM usually doesn't complete with itself

They did offer a 'high output (HO)' version of the injected 7.4, back in the day, but it wasn't rated anywhere close to 475HP. If you are confident in what you saw/remember, call PCM and ask for the reps that were there.....

Mercruiser has a few custom engines in that displacement range....but their 8.1l reman is much more cost effective...

According to the PCM website they just released the ZR7/7.4 liter and 500 lb/ft torque also
"The PCM ZZ8 is built on the LT4 engine platform, one of the most powerful engines ever offered from General Motors. The ZZ8 is both direct injected and supercharged boasting 600 horsepower and 608 foot-pounds of torque. "

Last edited:
Yes, after digging a bit the ZR7 appears to be the same as the Crusader branded 7.4 that was at the Miami boat show. Just have to wait and see if they actually release it. I wish I would have talked to them a bit but that show is a bit overwhelming trying to get through in one day

hard to find anything on it and what I could find is all PCM material, not Crusader...not a big deal as same corporate ownership though different target markets.

What I did find said 452CID, not 454 so its bones are likely to be in one of the 'new' GM blocks, not the older MarkIV/GenV/VI designs. I'd be a bit cautious about using them in a 36' hull. If they are priced like the rest of the offerings, you could likely get a pair of reconditioned 6BTA for the same money....

hard to find anything on it and what I could find is all PCM material, not Crusader...not a big deal as same corporate ownership though different target markets.

What I did find said 452CID, not 454 so its bones are likely to be in one of the 'new' GM blocks, not the older MarkIV/GenV/VI designs. I'd be a bit cautious about using them in a 36' hull. If they are priced like the rest of the offerings, you could likely get a pair of reconditioned 6BTA for the same money....

I agree 100% the boat is a bit of a dog with the 502s. Even if the specs of the 452 are good I wonder of the longevity of the motors pushing that much weight. Puling skiers around is completely different than pushing my tug day in and day out.

I really would love to have diesels. My boat should have diesels but the price was right for my boat. Even if a pair of Cummins was around the same price point I fret about the cost and work of the reset of the change over with tanks, fuel systems, running gear, etc.

Reality is two new 502 blocks @ $14k-20K is still much more cost effective than $40-50k for new engines, tranys, and possibly running gear. I just really like the idea of brand new motors with the bells and whistles

I haven't looked in a while - that said last time I looked you could get the reconditioned (factory) 6BTA's for ~$21K, with a gear and the install package. you may find the QSB's for a few more $K each.....I'd hope the shafts are already diesel friendly.... it wouldn't take many trolling trips to break even....all depends on your 'comfort level' and your budget....

You can get a new 502 long block, from GM performance for ~ $7K.....the ECU and intake should bolt right up....lots of options...

Back