Logo

Rope Pulling Too Hard

robt1313

This will probably sound crazy but here goes.
I enjoy working on outboards as a hobby. I don't do it for money, just like working on them. My health has changed in the past few years to the degree I can't pull start anything above about 15 hp.
I'm so frustrated trying to pull this 25 hp Johnson I'm working on I'm thinking about buying it just so I can throw it behind the shed!

I'm looking for something I can use to assist me in starting this thing. I've used an electric drill and socket on "difficult" 15 hp but 25 is a bit larger...any ideas?
And no, my neighbors won't come over if they see me in the shed.

Electric start kits are easy / cheap to find.-----Keep one handy to install for your testing purposes.-----Take it off when motor goes out the door / sell it to your local " high school wrestling champion. "

Electric start kits are easy / cheap to find.-----Keep one handy to install for your testing purposes.-----Take it off when motor goes out the door / sell it to your local " high school wrestling champion. "

Ha! I used to wrestle! I've looked on line but haven't found anything. Might have to invest in one of those right angle monster drills.

It's not realistic to install a temporary electric start, of course. Robert is working on other people's motors. That device would likely never start anything over 25 CC's. That 25 horse is likely 33 CC's. Robert, gonna have to go back to the gym, find the fountain of youth, or stick to repairing electric start motors and/or the "little guys".

Everytime I work on someone's boat it's parts cost only. Since my knowledge and labor are free, I think the friend/kinfolk I'm working for should invest a little "sweat equity" in their motor. I'll give 'em a call and "Hey Frank, your motor is ready, come on over and let's fire it up!" I'll let them do the pulling! Then they can say "me and Rob got it running."
Problem solved!

Great, wish you were around when I was little.....I would have helped and learned. It's a great business. Thanks for what you do, Rob. Most of today's shops won't work on older than 1999 models.

I've never had a shop, I learned with service manuals and doing it... most of the time successfully! My first was a 50 horse mercury tore down in a spare bedroom. Almost lost a wife on that one!
Can't over stress how useful a service manual can be. When I started, we didn't have videos taking us thru a repair. You had to know someone who could tell/show you or read up on it.

Sorry I said "CC's", I meant CI's (cubic inch), of course.
PS. Should have started with a 2.5 horse and worked your wife up to bigger projects.....little by little. My wife now likes the "big Johnson" work.

Last edited:
Sorry, couldn't resist. You set me up for that one. Working on a Yamaha 25 now.....but Yamahas stay in the "basement".

Seriously, what works for my shoulders is getting "above" the motor a bit. It is much easier to pull upwards at a slight angle than pulling straight away. I prop the motor so I don't have to try to hold it with my other hand, then use two hands to pull the cord. I can still pull the 33 cu in series very easily yet using this method. The big twins I have around can also be cranked this way, they are not all electric start like my Johnson Javelin 30.

Last edited:
Back