Logo

Default 2003 Johnson 150 (j150plstm) balance tubes

My motor has become hard to start after running to a fishing location. Now i'm getting a pop thru the exhuast while running above 1500 rpm. A mechanic told me I have leak on the stbd side intake. I disassembled the motor and the only problem I found was the lower bolts on the throttle plate and intake were lose and the port rubber hose on the port side is not connected to anything. The stbd side connects to a fitting at the lower part of teh power head.

What are the balance tubes used for and where does this hose connect?

Default Re: 2003 Johnson 150 (j150plstm) balance tubes

I'd recommend getting a genuine OMC Service Manual and looking up your questions in there. Ken Cook .com Milwaukee, WI.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie View Post
    I'd recommend getting a genuine OMC Service Manual and looking up your questions in there. Ken Cook .com Milwaukee, WI.
    Iíve been looking, but all I have found so far is a SELOC manual that covers every Johnson engine from 2002 to 2007.

The SELOC manual is good for paper in that little old out house everybody used to have. Try the Ken Cook in Milwaukee WI.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie View Post
    The SELOC manual is good for paper in that little old out house everybody used to have. Try the Ken Cook in Milwaukee WI.

The port one goes on bottom of air silencer.....
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)

Default Re: 2003 Johnson 150 (j150plstm) Big mistake

Quote Originally Posted by faztbullet View Post
    The port one goes on bottom of air silencer.....

Thanks for the info.

Going back to the original problem. It was hard to start and accerlerate after driving out to my fishing spot and setting for 30 plus minutes. Then it started popping thur the exhuast at any speed, but it sounded like it was from one cyl. After i changed the intake gaskets, i could get it to start and idle, but upon accerlration it would quit. Then I make the big mistake, a friends friend said that he knows this engine and can fix it. I delivered the boat to his house and told him i wanted to be there when he started work, to make a long story short, when I got there the carb linkage and timing linkage were both lose and the optical sensor were all lose. I retreived my boat and I'm trying to reassemble the motor. When I get to the WOT setting and when the detent plate is to be moved to WOT, the light on the Optical sensor testor is off and the procedure states iy should be on to complete the setting. I have went thru this procedure nemerous times to see what I missed. Did I miss a step or do I have other problems?

What I know has been done to the motor.
    Compassion - 1 121 psi, 2 116 psi, 3 115 psi, 4 120 psi, 5 110 psi, 6 110 psi.
    New coil assy
    New power packs
    New Champion spark plugs QL78YC /30
    New intake and carburtor gaskets

Manual say to :hold timing wheel in position. Move outside detent tab rearward on detent plate till analyzer "CYL" light goes off.....not on
    Pappys Sales and Service

Quote Originally Posted by faztbullet View Post
    Manual say to :hold timing wheel in position. Move outside detent tab rearward on detent plate till analyzer "CYL" light goes off.....not on
    Thatís the problem I have when the detent plate is moved to WOT, the light is to be ON. On mine as the detent plate is move to WOT the comes on and then about an inch before wide open the light goes off.

Do you have crankshaft turned so timing wheel set to max timing degree spec?
    Pappys Sales and Service