Logo

Honda Water Pump/Impeller replacement

grey2112

Contributing Member
So, when you do your impeller/water pump service every year or two, do you just get the service kit (Water Pump O-ring, Impeller, Impeller Gasket, and woodruff key) or do you spend the extra $77 and get the entire kit which includes the housing, the impeller cover, water tube seal ring, pump liner, pump housing Oring) ?

I do the whole pump simply because i'm running in saltwater and I sometimes need to launch or dock from my lift at lower tides, where the prop kicks up a lot of sand and mud. I figure that will wear the liner more than usual. If you are running in fresh water and don't need to worry about shallow running, you're probably fine with just the kit.

It really depends on what type of water you are running in and if you tend to run in shallow water with sand or not. I will replace my impeller every other year depending on how hard I use my boat. I inspect the housing and replace as needed, but if I ever lose a blade on my impeller the housing is replaced immediately. New seals are always a good thing. I always keep an extra set of seals and impeller along with an older in good condition housing as a back up.

Thanks. I do 100% salt water, launch and load at a pretty good ramp, and never run shallow. But I can imagine over the years some sand and silt may get in there. I figure for an extra $77 its pretty cheap insurance, so I'll just get the whole kit.

Back