Logo

Tohatsu 4 stroke MFS 6

bb101445

Hi.
I recently bought a sailing boat that came with a Tohatsu 4 stroke MFS 6 outboard engine for the dinghy. The outboard hadn't been used in a few months so I decided to go through all the recommended maintenance in the owners manual and then run it up.
Before starting the engine I noticed that the gear lever was jammed, I mean it wouldn't budge at all.
I decided to remove the lower section of the leg to investigate and check the impeller whilst I was down there.
I removed it easily enough and saw that there was a fair amount of salt/corrosion/dirt on the cam rod and the cam rod joint (the rod is split in two).
I cleaned all this up nicely and eventually managed to get the lower section reattached. Afterwards the gear lever seemed to shift fairly easily.
When I started the engine in neutral (only possible to start in neutral) the gearbox is actually in forward. When I shift to reverse it goes into neutral, and it's impossible to get the gearbox into reverse or the gear lever into forward.
Any suggestions on what to try next?
Please tell me what an idiot I've been for shifting gear whilst the engine wasn't running and then tell me how to fix it :D
Thanks!

Your shift coupler needs adjustment.
002-21046-7_FIG07.jpg
It's #26 in the diagram. Full info in the Factory service manual.
Unlock the bolt with a 10mm socket, move shifter to correspond with the actual LU gear setting, and snug the bolt.

Back