Logo

OMC 3.8 and WLOD

oscarvan

Greetings,

Got myself a 22' Starcraft Islander with WLOD and OMC 3.8 V6.
Going to remove same and plug the hole, mount a pod and stick an outboard on there.

The 3.8 ran when put away, 10 years ago. It's relatively corrosion free and the late resident squirrel seems to have left the wiring alone. I am wondering whether it's worth my time to do some basic maintenance and then see if it will start and then sell it as a whole, or whether to just sell it as is for parts, for less of course. Or should I part it out myself? Which parts?

Speaking of which... what's it worth? $.03/pound? Or is there a market for these? Where to advertise? Thanks.

Last edited:
I believe that this 3.8L engine was an "Odd Fire" engine, and that it would have been packaged with an old OMC Stringer Drive..... yes/no?

I would not bother with trying to get it in shape to sell.... as the market will be very limited!

I would also consider what an outboard engine and bracket will do to the stern weight (cantilevered) and how it may affect hull attitude.

Your call on that!

Yes, OMC outdrive.

OK.... I will have to look closer, but isn't the odd fire engine identifiable by the spark plugs wire being in 3 groups 120º apart? These look evenly spaced.....

As far as weight.... taking the V6 out and outdrive off will lose some weight. Yes, the pod will bring weight out, but I'm hoping to put a lot less weight out there than I'm taking out. Worst case I'll have to put some ballast in the bow. Going to keep the rest of the boat pretty light.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 9.13.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 9.13.31 AM.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 18
The outboard engine bracket will "cantilever" the outboard engine past the transom.
Even though the outboard engine will weigh less, this effectively adds weight to the stern.

As for the "odd" fire..... look at the contact points cam.
If the cams are evenly divided/spaced, it will be an even fire.
If the cams are NOT evenly divided/spaced, it will be an Odd Fire.

The other aspect is the Stringer Drive.
This was a poor design back then, and still is today!

Last edited:
I would recommend that you cut down the transom rather than do a bracket. Build a well to keep the slosh out and hang the engine on the transom.

The transom will need to be reinforced.
The motor was set on the stringers and they absorbed the weight and tuorqe.
My friend had the same boat with a Mercruiser.
I saw then why they are called a 'Tinny"
The new bracket can rip the stern right off the boat.
Or do what o2batsea suggested.
Even then reinforce the heck out of it.

Back