Logo

In search of 1957 Lark

Gail Riede

I have a 1957 Herter Flying Fish that I have restored, but the Evinrude Lark original to the boat has cylinder problems (70/100 compression) and repairman says can't be rebuilt without spending a ton of time. I don't want to spend a TON of money, but am eager to find a restored Lark or one in good shape. Any ideas?

Your location ?----Easy to repair motor.-----But expensive if you have to have someone do it for you.-----To own one of those classics you need to learn the basics of repairing them or go broke.

I have an excellent repairman and he is more than fair. Deals in nothing but antique motors. He said he can fix it, but would take a lot of money. I just need a new motor. I am at Lake of the Ozarks.

The only difference between the '57 Lark and the standard Big Twin 35 Electric was the hood. I would think there would be some good powerheads out there (??)

Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. 218 682 2331 Mike or Dan. I likely have one but haven't tested compression and it is at the back of my shop behind all my other toys. What years will work I can't say for sure. I have a 28 horse up front of shop mint but no lower unit. Mint 30 horse tiller with short shaft and a couple under the tarp with my old Case VA tractor. Those are buried under 5 feet of snow that I cleaned off the tent next to it. Have another 30 right at front of shop but haven't tested compression on that one either. Aren't the 30s gonna work too?

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but is the Big Twin an Evinrude? I am so torn on what to do here. I do not want to put a modern motor on a vintage boat, but I have to draw the line on price somewhere. I paid $100 for the boat and motor 8 years ago, refinished it fairly well, paid $1,000 to have the motor rebuilt and the motor never worked well. Decided to not throw good money at more bad labor and find another repairman, which I did. If all else fails, I will just get a brand new motor, but don't want to.

Big twin was the label attached to the EVINRUDE lineup of the 2 cylinder motors like yours in the 50's and 60's.-----They gave all their models a name.-----Around here these engines are still available.------Have the 57 Johnson Javelin and the Evinride equivalent myself here.

The Javelin was a "fancier" model of a Johnson. They included stainless steel trim and recoil starter door. Mine is missing the door, but it is electric start.

Hey Tim guy. You said you graduated from service school in 1972. Well I got you. Graduated from Evinrude Service school in Feb, 1966. Still got the diploma to prove it. It was in Milwaukee, WI.

Last edited:
Hah! For sure you got me beat. I worked for a dealer in 72, never did service school, but followed a mentor, licensed dealer, repair shop right on Lake Superior from 72 to 76. After Bills death I started my own shop at home, moving into auto body and paint as well as heavy mechanic, then aluminum welding.
That 57 Javelin would be perfect on your boat, Gail. Gonna get a picture and post it.

Back