Logo

Question on Balancing 1997 S150 Carbs

tperk100

My gummed carbs are on the bench. After cleaning / rebuilding I understand they should be balanced, best with vacuum gauges. I am not sure if I have the required intake vacuum ports. See pics. Each of the intakes has a "nipple" with a vacuum line attached. The vacuum lines go to whatever the pictured component is under the fuel filter area.

Should I / Can I disconnect these lines to get the balancing vacuum gauges connected?

Or must I balance with no gauges but using the eyeball on the butterfly method as described in the service manual?

Sorry all pics are rotated. Don't know why.

Vacuum Port and Line (Small).jpgVacuum Port and Line 2 (Small).jpgVacuum Lines (Small).jpgVacuum Lines 2 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• Big Mouths 100x100 (Custom).jpg
    Big Mouths 100x100 (Custom).jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Agreed----Those are not vacuum lines they are oil injection hoses from the oil pump !-----Do not run the motor with those hoses disconnected.-----Make sure those wee hoses are in good condition , with no chance of them breaking / falling off the nipples.

Finally - Carbs installed. Fresh gas. With fingers crossed, went to start engine submerged in 1/2 of 50 gal drum. First noticed that primer bulb now gets hard to where it can't be pumped any more. It has NEVER done that before and I always wondered why. Cranked her up and was pleasantly surprised. Started right up. Idles faster than before. VERY responsive when punching throttle. Can't wait to get her on the water. But before that I need some help with tuning.

When I worked carbs, I set idle mix screws to same amount of turns as they were when I took carbs off. Read that to tune them just turn them for fastest idle. I turned two of them and could not detect any difference by listening to idle. Is this important? If so, how do I adjust them?
Thanks much!

Back