Logo

Honda 250 800 hour service

grey2112

Contributing Member
2013 BF250 bought new, all saltwater use. 50% at idle. 800+ hours. Always did all recommended yearly service.

Was going to check valve clearance this year in addition to usual filter and water pump changes and of course oil and lower unit.

Any reason to swap out all the internal anodes at this point?

Probably not at this point. I changed out mine at 1500 hours and they still had enough material to last for another 200 - 300 hours. HOWEVER, my engine only has four internal anodes, I'm fairly certain your has a lot more - like 10 or 12.

If Ian jumps in, he can give you better advice.

Seven year old motor, they should be changed. You are going to need both exhaust manifold gaskets, as there are two in each manifold, and just behind there are round plugs that are removed with an allen socket . Three plugs in each block sides, they have anodes on the ends.

Thanks, guys. I just got the shop manual (finally) and will read through it. Looks like gaskets all around will need to be replaced.

What's another $100 or so, eh? Beats having to replace an engine I guess :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help. I purchased the shop manual (WELL worth the $125 price!) and over the course of a few weeks swapped out all but two of the 14 internal anodes. 2 of them require the engine to be pulled and oil pump disassembled, which is way beyond my ability. The other anodes were mostly OK, though some were pretty far gone. Also did the valve clearance, replaced a lot of bolts, washers, hose clamps, etc. Did the basic oil changes (lower included) and replaced all parts on the water pump, including seals, and put new plugs in. Checked belt tension as well, and adjusted shift linkage and the throttle.

Crossed my fingers, put on the muffs, fired her up . . . . . . . . SUCCESS! Man oh man does that motor purr like a kitten. Can't wait to sea trial her.

Seven year old motor, they should be changed. You are going to need both exhaust manifold gaskets, as there are two in each manifold, and just behind there are round plugs that are removed with an allen socket . Three plugs in each block sides, they have anodes on the ends.

Yup - these were definitely the worst off. I luckily purchased all new parts for the entire assembly. Had to scrape and brush and spritz out (vinegar/water mix) the powdered remnants of the anodes from all 6 of these areas. New gaskets as well.

Attachments

• 20200315_170748.jpg
    20200315_170748.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back