Logo

Kill switch

linwood

A 40 HP 2 Stroke tiller no starter, the white wire disconnected from the kill switch is still grounded I have checked all for broken wires or grounded and also under the flywheel tried a new CDI still no spark any suggestions ? thanks pulling My hair out now

What is the complete model of the motor? All 40 HP two strokes may not be alike.
This is the information on the tag bought in the Philippines EJ4H E40JMH L1014870J this engine only has the basics tiller no starter no forward control very few wires to check for broken only a visual check I didn't check the wire for internal breakage I did disconnect all the parts under the flywheel to see if they were somehow causing the grounded white wire from the kill switch installed a new CDI , but I don't know how to check that, some say if new it still can be bad it's OE from Yamaha thanks for any help 'Linwood

How about a 6J4 prefix model?

Have you disconnected the white wire at the CDI? Inspected the white wire from the connector to the CDI?

Have you inspected and tested both the charge coil and the pulser coil for their inputs to the CDI?

How about a 6J4 prefix model?

Have you disconnected the white wire at the CDI? Inspected the white wire from the connector to the CDI?

Have you inspected and tested both the charge coil and the pulser coil for their inputs to the CDI?
I have ordered parts as EJ4H is the 6J4 similar

the plug with the white wire disconnected from the CDI it's not grounded am I correct the kill switch closed circuit grounds the white wire to stop the engine ??
I,m not up to speed checking the charge coil or the pulser coil is there some directions on the web I could follow ?
thanks for sticking with Me on this problem
Linwood

The primary ID of almost all Yamaha outboard motors start with the number 6. I suspect that if you re-examine your data plate you will see that the PID is stated as 6J4L 1014870. But no matter.

The kill switch and/or the key switch applies a ground to the CDI to stop the motor from running. Or starting.

The white wire coming from the CDI gets its ground to stop the motor. If you disconnect the white wire bullet lead from the CDI and measure it for the presence of ground, on the wire side away from the CDI, there should be no ground. If there is a ground, with the key on and with the kill switch lanyard installed, there is a problem. Could be the switches or could be the white wire is chaffed to a ground point.
zkill.jpg

Boscoe and others following this post after doing everything I could think of it's always the last thing I hadn't thought of. It was broken and corroded wires on the thermo switch grounded in the head. My Yamaha 40 HP is about 15 years old the wire harness is fully black copper corrosion I don't know about the later year engines if Yamaha hasn't switched to a tinned marine wires it's about time because using cheap wire is not a plus for the marine environment

Bought it 1 year old from original owner don't know about under water it's the first time it never has run since I'v owned it. It never has been run in fresh water seawater use only

Back