Logo

Performance issue

mydogcoach

We have a 26ft Apache Sea Master with a 2002 Honda BF200. When we first got the boat we could reach top end speeds of 35-40 mph RPM between 5500-6000. Currently we cannot get speeds to pass 24 mph and the rpms max out at 4200 this is with a single and multiple riders. We had the fuel injectors cleaned, and replaced the following. Fuel pump and screen, fuel regulator, map sensor, all filters (accept the screen in fuel rail), plugs, and throttle cables we set the cables per the service manual but it would not fully open so we adjusted cables to get WOT. We tried changing the prop and it did not matter. We checked the hull for water but not an issue. We even made sure the hull was clean little to no difference. Reading several strands we notice some articles that described the Etec not engaging and could be the IAC. We have no codes. Motor sounds good. Good compression. Could the mesh screen in the fuel rail and or the IAC be causing the problem. We are pre boating season in our area but trying to get a head start. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Start with the basics, inspect spark plugs, ensure all are the same colour,carry out compression check, should be around 200psi, and check fuel pressure at WOT , it should hold steady around 40psi. Does this boat live in or out of he water? Might pay to check the drive shaft support bush in the extension housing although I have never known this to drain that much hp

Start with the basics, inspect spark plugs, ensure all are the same colour,carry out compression check, should be around 200psi, and check fuel pressure at WOT , it should hold steady around 40psi. Does this boat live in or out of he water? Might pay to check the drive shaft support bush in the extension housing although I have never known this to drain that much hp

Thanks for getting back to us. This issue has gone on for a couple years. The lake we are on has only 1 honda dealer and Honda is not there primary interest therefore we have tried doing thing ourself the next closes honda dealer is 35 miles away. We have changed plugs yearly and they are generally the same color. We did a compression check and all cylinders are between 185-200psi. We bought a fuel pressure gauge and it holds steady around 40psi. We can raise the rpms if we raise motor out of water or while using muffs. It has good take off speed but at top end the last 1/4 push to full open throttle does not seam to make a difference. We have not done anything with the support bushing not sure what that is. The motor does say programmed fuel injectors not sure if that means anything. Kind of stuck thanks again any help

I will think about it. On your question of Vtec, the 200 doesn't have it. Just looking at all you described, there has to be somemething about the boat that's changed. Are you certain this motor is running on all cylinders all time?

I will think about it. On your question of Vtec, the 200 doesn't have it. Just looking at all you described, there has to be somemething about the boat that's changed. Are you certain this motor is running on all cylinders all time?

To my knowledge accept for slowing down there has been no other changes to the boat. The motor runs smooth there is no sounds of anything missing as far as not firing on all cylinder. I know you stated that the motor does not have VTEC. But the housing of the motor says ETEC or VTEC now I'm not sure but I know it says programmable fuel injection. This is what been confusing me for a couple years. I even bought a computer diagnostic device and there are no codes. Thanks for your help

Try pulling codes the old fashion way. Here is the procedure: View attachment Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf

Given all that you have done on the engine, I suspect that you have a fuel line restriction or you are getting air into the fuel mixture once the two fuel pumps are sucking in a lot of fuel.

Carefully inspect your fuel line from the primer bulb to where it connects to the on-board fuel/water separator. Check especially where it enters and goes through the big black grommet on the front of the engine. That's where it often gets kinked or collapsed. Consider running a new clear plastic line from the primer bulb directly to the on-board fuel/water separator with cover off and test. If that fixes the problem, replace the fuel line. Have someone observe the clear fuel line while running at high RPM's and see if air bubbles appear. If so, back track to the problem. If you have an external fuel/water separator, check the fuel line fittings to it and check that the big O ring is good and tight.

Finally, I would consider removing the low pressure fuel pump and closely inspect it. Consider replacing it if suspect.

BTW - according to many years of posts on this site, that mesh screen on the fuel rail seldom seems to be a problem UNLESS the fuel has been badly contaminated somewhere along the line.

Try pulling codes the old fashion way. Here is the procedure: View attachment 22707

Given all that you have done on the engine, I suspect that you have a fuel line restriction or you are getting air into the fuel mixture once the two fuel pumps are sucking in a lot of fuel.

Carefully inspect your fuel line from the primer bulb to where it connects to the on-board fuel/water separator. Check especially where it enters and goes through the big black grommet on the front of the engine. That's where it often gets kinked or collapsed. Consider running a new clear plastic line from the primer bulb directly to the on-board fuel/water separator with cover off and test. If that fixes the problem, replace the fuel line. Have someone observe the clear fuel line while running at high RPM's and see if air bubbles appear. If so, back track to the problem. If you have an external fuel/water separator, check the fuel line fittings to it and check that the big O ring is good and tight.

Finally, I would consider removing the low pressure fuel pump and closely inspect it. Consider replacing it if suspect.

BTW - according to many years of posts on this site, that mesh screen on the fuel rail seldom seems to be a problem UNLESS the fuel has been badly contaminated somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the help. We are in CT so it will be a while before I can try your suggestions. Just wanted to prep myself and get anything I needed to buy before the season comes. Before I purchased the boat it sat outside in a driveway for 2 years not sure if this could have caused any gas issues as far as the screen goes. I'll be in touch once I'm able to get the boat in the water Thanks again for your help

Fuel supply should be okay given that you said it holds a steady 40psi under full load, any form of fuel restriction would cause the pressure to fluctuate. Your motor is fuel injected, identical to the 225 but does not have variable valve timing, Honda calls that Vtec as used in all their high performance engines. If your spark plugs are burning nice and clean, almost white, then I think you need to look at other things. Have you changed your prop at all and perhaps accidentally fitted the wrong pitch? You did not mention whether or not the boat lives in the water,does it?

Fuel supply should be okay given that you said it holds a steady 40psi under full load, any form of fuel restriction would cause the pressure to fluctuate. Your motor is fuel injected, identical to the 225 but does not have variable valve timing, Honda calls that Vtec as used in all their high performance engines. If your spark plugs are burning nice and clean, almost white, then I think you need to look at other things. Have you changed your prop at all and perhaps accidentally fitted the wrong pitch? You did not mention whether or not the boat lives in the water,does it?

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure that the fuel supply holds steady under full load at 40psi. The boat lives in the water from April till November. I will check plugs again in a litttle over a month and get back to you up till now they have been clean. We did change the prop but kept the pitch the same 15 x 17. We have tried a 15 x15 ad it did not make a difference. We have a 26 foot Deck boat Apache Durango Sea Master. Not made any more. Don't know if you have any prop suggestions thanks

Back