Logo

1976 85hp evinrude wont start

Dylan720

Hi all im new to outboard engines but have done alot of work on cars so am pretty mechanicly minded anyhow i have purchased a boat with a 1976 85hp evinrude and it wont start it had a crack in the fuel primer bulb so i have replaced the entire fuel line and have pressure in the primer bulb. It also doesnt have spark unless disconnect the black/yellow stripe wire from the power pack with it disconnected i have spark and fuel but still wont start. And if i connect that wire i have no spark. I have done a compression test on all cylinders lowest cylender was 95 psi highest was 105 psi. So im stuck at this point on what else to check so anyhelp would be great thanks. It also has a brand new battery to.

Regardless of what else might be wrong, for sure you have a problem with that black/yellow wire grounding out when connected. Could be the wire itself, or a bad key switch, or incorrect connections.

A common problem is no spark at cranking speed. Try looking for spark while cranking with plugs out (it will crank faster). If that produces spark, look for bad coils on the stator. If goo is leaking from the coils, that is another indication.

Back