Logo

225 pro xs tilt trim removal

Thembonez

Sorry if this has been covered, my search results didn’t come up with anything. I’m currently in the process of removing my tilt trim unit to get rebuilt. I’m running into the dilemma of how to support the motor and swing the starboard transom bracket out of the way to accomplish this. According to the service manual they want you to use the tilt lock lever to hold the weight of the motor up to do this. It seems like a lot of weight for my fiberglass transom to hold 500lbs on two bolts on the one side. Then I’ve had dealer mechanics say to suspend the motor from the flywheel lug. But then if that the case it’s not leaving you any room to perform the work to remove with the motor hanging directly up and down right in from if the trim unit. So what have people here done and what works??????

I’m getting the concept of the 2x4 just wondering how your managing to set it up with the ratchet strap

I guess not only that, but my main concern would be the stress put on the transom. I get a little nervous thinking about two bolts on one side holding and not causing damage to my fiberglass transom. Should this be a concern?

Tip the engine up, put the 2x4 along side the lower between the prop and the vent plate, wrap the strap around and crank it tight. Take the bolts out, loosen the nut on the tilt tube and pull out the pump. Don't worry about the transom it will be fine.

Back