Logo

Mercury 115 starts cold but not hot

msbass

I have a 1993 Mercury 115. It starts up right away when I first get to the lake and runs great. If I try to start it back say within 5 minutes usually no problem but it sits for about 30 minutes it will not start. I can sometimes use the throttle lever to get it going but it will usually go dead when I put it in gear. This happened again this past weekend. By the time I got home, which was about a 2 hours drive, it would start again. Any ideas on what my problem may be? Thanks in advance.

Has the stator been replaced? The original one (under the flywheel) was black or blue and very prone to trouble. It's not uncommon for the engine to start up and run fine and stop running or not start after sitting, or stall and run poorly from weak spark, generally after the stator warms up from running. Get the stator peak voltage checked. If it does need a stator, don't buy the replacement red stator from Mercury that was also prone to fail. Get it from CDI Electronics, they are the best with a warranty. Since your engine is a 2+2 (only idles on the two top cylinders) make sure your idle speed is correct. I believe it is 675 rpm in forward gear. If it's idling too low that can cause hard starting without advancing the throttle. Lastly, your idle pick up timing should be 2 degrees BTDC to 0 TDC. The factory service manual is the only one to have for this engine. The Solec and Clymer manuals are better used for starting fires for a BBQ.

Back