Logo

225 Johnson Air silencer cover gasket question

revenge22

Contributing Member
Hi guys. I have a 1993 johnson 225 oceanRunner and can anyone tell me how important the air silencer cover gasket is? This is the style seen below, and the gasket always seems to pinch at the bottom when installing with lower cowlings on. Is that an issue? I ask because it seems to me the only functional part of the cover is to cover the carbs, allowing a somewhat restricted airflow vs. with it off (obviously i've never ran it at high speed without the cover on stock jetting) OR does that outer gasket actually seal something off? seems doubly odd to me as the newer ones are completely different and way easier to pop back on as they are completely open in the rear/all around. Just want to make sure i'm not potentially running lean if that gasket gets pinched, but so far so good. I had to rebuild and do the lync n synk on the carbs a few times and getting this thing with its 14 screws off each time was a pain! The gasket in question is # 47 on the diagram below. The second diagram is the newer style. Can I swap to the newer style and not touch the carb?:

MzI4MTg-73b47dc2.png

MTY4MDM-12f6582c.png

Your motor has the restictive air box and trick is to use contact cement on on side of gasket to box. Do not remove #67 baffle. To use the later model you will need ti 1/4-20 insert from box mounting screw to fit it to carbs, 6 carb inserts and gaskets and total rejet of carbs (high,idle ,intermediate)

Thanks so much great help. I do know that gasket isn't there for good luck, but what exactly is it sealing? I guess it restricts air flow to the baffles somehow? Will break out the cement... i'm on my 3rd $20 gasket. Will try cementing it to the engine side instead of omc gasket sealant on the air box itself.

Back