Logo

Drive shaft stuck in powerhead

jakeok8

I have a 1965 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 horse. Need to change the impellor but the drive shaft wont come out of the powerhead. Is there a roll pin that needs to be lined up first for it to slide out on this model? Or is it seized up in there?

No pin or anything like that.-----Fairly common for this to happen on neglected motors.-----Is the lower unit off ?-------On re-assembly make sure you grease the spline and install the proper 0-ring to keep water out of there.

No pin or anything like that.-----Fairly common for this to happen on neglected motors.-----Is the lower unit off ?-------On re-assembly make sure you grease the spline and install the proper 0-ring to keep water out of there.

Yes the lower unit came off when I was trying to get the drive shaft out of the powerhead.

In the past I made up an adapter to clamp onto the shaft without damage to the shaft.-----Then a slide hammer to pull it out.-------Rust forms in the splines to jam it up.------Rust is steel plus oxygen ( feo3 ) thus there is more material.

In the past I made up an adapter to clamp onto the shaft without damage to the shaft.-----Then a slide hammer to pull it out.-------Rust forms in the splines to jam it up.------Rust is steel plus oxygen ( feo3 ) thus there is more material.

OK Thanks Very much. Knowing there is not a pin up there is a big help.

Mix up some acetone and atf 50-50 and then turn the motor upside down and pour the mix down the drive shaft and let it set. Give the drive shaft a few raps side ways every so often along with adding more mix.

Yes that worked. I bolted on a 1/2 inch cable tie on the driveshaft and took a hammer and wacked it a few times and it slowly came out. It scratched up the shaft a little but I dont think it will hurt it. Im not sure where the o ring goes on the drive shaft. There are 2 different grooves on the end of the shaft. Does anyone know which groove it goes in? The one closest to the motor is what Im thinking.

There was only one o-ring groove when it left the factory.----But the motor is 55 years old and who knows what was done.-----Any pictures of the upper spline ?

Back