Logo

How to replace a Mercruiser through transom mount oil fitting for my out drive

To All,

OK, I'm stumped!!!!:confused::confused:

I have a 2003 Mercruiser with a 3.0... I noticed an oil leak under the out drive and traced it back to the oil outdrive system. The leak is because the through transom mount fitting was cracked. It needs to be replaced and I'm having a bit of a problem even getting to it.

The out drive, gimbal as well as the bell housing are off and out of the way. But, getting to the fitting inside the boat is a story all by itself!!! Can't reach it!!! I was thinking of just getting a long flat screwdriver and just shear it off. That is, give it a good wack to break off the inside plastic portion of the fitting then pull whatever is left
through the transom or drive the debris back into the engine compartment from the outside and replace it with a new one.... It's going to be replaced anyway so there's no point to saving it.

I completely understand this is CRUDE but unless I'm missing something, I think it may be the easiest way to replace the fitting.

Any input from y'all would be most appreciated...

Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

• Oil Fittings.jpeg
    Oil Fittings.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 27
Remove inside panels, remove power steering cylinder, remove hose, remove E clip retainer, push outward to the rear

In most boats there is no "easy button" .Once you remove the E clip it just pushes out to the rear.
The trick is getting to the E clip for removal and installation. Forceps or an extended needle nose is needed
And by 2 or 3 cause you might drop them into the engine abyss

Bt,

Apparently there's nothing easy when it comes to fixing anything on this boat! This is my first power boat after owing sailboats and I have to admit, it's been a challenge. The easiest repair turns into an epic adventure... LOL Looking forward to getting it operational and on/in the water. My family, seeing the repair issues and listening to my drone on about them over dinner gave me a subscription to Sea Tow.... Hmmm I wonder if they know something that I don't.. LOL The adventure continues..

Thanks again for the help...

Ron

This is no consolation but I replaced mine with the gimbal housing on the workbench. I can't imagine doing it in the boat with the engine in the way. You sure it's the fitting and not the hose?

I hope you are replacing bellows at this point. Being u have it apart. I would have crimped oil line below reservoir , and kept an eye on fluid leve in lower unit. Until I had to remove everything, then replace all.

I change these fitting all the time. I never pull anything off unless the transom is built over the back of the engine like a SeaFox, a long Pick tool with a hook gets the clip off... A wooden dowel with a notch cut off set in the end to hold the clip helps reinstall it.

Back