Logo

1998 evinrude 8hp primer system

bigjohnson

Regular Contributor
I tried to start this motor (after carb rebuild etc) and it started for a few seconds then dies. I check the spark plugs after pulling the crank and it seems to be getting too much fuel (wet plugs). I think it's the primer assy. Is there a primer assy rebuild kit? If the "orings" inside the primer are faulty would this cause too much fuel to dump into the engine? I think all the factory settings on the carb were correct. (This is the way I bought it). Is the idle adjust screw 3 turns or 5? Float bowl level height?

I have a tendency to buy a used motor, work on it and try not to buy new parts for it. Anyway, I get it running and it will run for 10 sec then start to die then I pull the primer out slightly then back in and keep repeating that till it dies after about a min.
I ordered a fuel pump kit so I will try that. It gets good spark and fuel is getting to the plugs since they seem wetish. I think all of the parts are original so most things most likely need replacing even though they look ok. Seller says it had low hours. Even the impellor looks o.e.m. replacing that as well.

Back