Logo

9.9 power thrust remote to tiller control conversion.

Gerry C.

There is no Vin on the front bracket. I previously thought it was a 2008 because the EPA sticker said this engine conforms to 2002 EPA standards and this engine is certified to meet 2008 California standards.apparently this does not mean it is a 2008 so I was told to look for the engine serial number. would anyone know where I should start looking and what pieces of cowling to remove to find this number? I can't look for parts until I can ID the outboard thanks. If necessary I could post pictures of it.

You should find the engine serial "sticker" at the very bottom of the front of the block. You only need to remove the hood.

Previously stolen outboards will often be missing the frame number and engine serial number for obvious reason.

Good luck.

Thanks. I bought this Honda from the brother of the original owner who had a sail boat. The original four holes can be seen on the bracket but are almost closed over with the original paint the VIN may have been on the remote control box, at any rate I own it now.

Honda doesn't put the outboard info on the remote box.
Often there's a sticker with the "frame number" on the starboard side of the tilt frame...thus frame number.
The frame number is the comprehensive number we might refer to as the "vin" number.
Other than that...the engine serial should be on the block where I indicated. But, even if you have it, it's probably not going to be very useful for identifying the EXACT outboard date of origin. But it might help get you close enough if you contacted Honda.

Good luck.

A dealer can give you the frame number if you provide engine serial number which as mentioned id stamped on the block.

Yes the local dealer told me that.I just can't see any number visible without taking some cowling off. I plan on changing the oil so I have to open it up to remove the filter anyway. Hopefully I will be able to find an engine number then.

Well I removed the left lower cowl and found the sticker. I don't know if it's the frame number or the engine number but it is BEABJ-1010264. I feel that I am one step closer to being able to look for parts now.

I'm not sure what you've uncovered because the frame numbers usually begin with 4 letters, not five and are displayed in clear view on the starboard frame bracket. I think that's to comply with U.S. law.

On boats.net they list BABJ 100XXXX to BABJ 109XXXX and they are listed as 2001 models EXCEPT one which is a 2002 year model. That COULD be consistent with the EPA compliance sticker it has.

I'm wondering if the E in the series means European?? And it was part of some sort of special shipment to supplement stock shortages or something?
That may also explain the number being concealed under a side cover instead of displayed on the frame bracket.

Bottom line is I don't know....just speculation on my part.

Hopefully someone else here will know these things.

Good luck.

Thanks . I contacted honda marine and they're getting back to me tomorrow. That # is indeed the engine id # and he is confident that he will have the info I need tomorrow. I had also tracked that # to a 2001 listing. I thought maybe the "E" referred to electric start, but your idea seems more likely. Thanks for taking the time.

Well, after thinking about it a bit, I think the E stands for ENGINE. ;>)
Please let us know what the dealer has to say.
Good luck.

I spoke with Honda Canada and they confirmed my 9.9 BEABJ-1010264 is indeed a 2001 model. The "E" designates it as being from Australia. (go figure). Would I be able to get a list of part #s to convert to a tiller control complete with choke ass'y & steering friction lever. Also I need to know if it is a long or extra long shaft. (where to measure) for transom height mod. The prop is a 4 blade but the motor is off a sailboat so I will probably need a different one right? Any help would be much appreciated Thanks.

Hmmm. Interesting. "I bought the motor from the brother of the original owner"....
Was he Australian?

At any rate, trying to do what you are wanting to do, conversion wise,
will be fraught with unknowns and expense even if it were an American market Honda.

My advice, to pretty much anyone considering extensively converting an outboard in this manner, is don't do it. If it's not what you want, sell it and find the one you need.

The used 10+ year old Honda outboard market is pretty robust and should offer many good, well maintained, outboards that will likely cost you LESS than the ultimate successful conversion.

Not what you wanted to "hear"?

I get it. Sometimes a guy just wants to do what he wants to do.

In that case, about all I can offer is that I would GUESS that the Aussie and American models are close enough to each other that you can source the parts from this continent. After all, I see Australian owners referring to buying parts from boats.net (and complaining about the shipping charges) quite often.

Also, you should open another thread about measuring the case for X and XL or ???. Hopefully you will get some ACCURATE direction about measuring from someone that's actually done it. I haven't.

On most I believe the extensions go in 5 inch increments. IE:
Std =20"
L. =25"
XL =30"
XXL=35"
I believe that the XL and the XXL extensions simply use the std. OR the L extension, respectively, with 5" "spacers" or inserts to achieve the desired length.

That may or may not be totally accurate.
And, I don't know about exactly how to place the tape measure to discern the exact difference.

I would also wonder about the diameter differences that may be present in the longer main shafts. That could be an issue to consider.

Good luck.

Just for the record, the 9.9 was never sold in Australia, we only had the BF10. On the subject of changing to tiller, I agree with Jimmy, there are a lot of parts involved and certainly not a job for the novice.

I appreciate your replies. I was able to buy a complete used tiller handle ass'y for $200 Can. ( that according to boats.net will fit my motor). That just leaves the choke ass'y Gear shifter, and steer friction ass'y to replace. 1 down, 3 to go. I see that jgmo is sceptical about the origin of this motor. I can assure you that I neither subscribe to, or support the black market. Nor would I be on a public forum.
My son bought a boat motor & trailer from a car salesman & when we went to pick it up he offered to sell his brother's Honda outboard. He even showed us pictures of them sailing. I am 68 yrs old, have had 3 heart attacks & I'm tired of pull starting stubborn engines, so because it had elect start I bought it. Thanks again I'm sure I will be needing your input in the future.

Gerry,

I'm not doubting your story about how you got the outboard. And. I'm not doubting the guy that sold it to you. But, after Ian saying that Australia didn't get 9.9's but 10's instead, I do wonder why the Honda guy told you the E stands for Australia?

It doesn't make a big whoop really but I am curious about such things. Maybe too curious. I meant no disrespect and my intention was certainly NOT to insinuate anything or insult you in ANY way. I apologize if I came off that way.

No need to apologize. I was suspicious at first, but after being in JP's house 3 times during procurement of my sons fishing outfit & the Honda all I really needed was a signed receipt and the fact that I had his actual address. As for the contact @ Honda I will find out about that . BTW. The tiller ass'y I ordered will fit but does not have elect start so I will have to wire in e momentary switch. Take care.

Well, I installed my tiller handle today & was glad to see that it fit. Also it has the elect. start. After checking the start & kill switch buttons, I wired them into the appropriate ( I hope ) connectors. I couldn't find in the downloaded own manual where to connect + & - cables from the battery. Not being sure, I did not want to connect to the solenoid in case of reverse polarity. Does anybody know how the throttle cable is routed from tiller handle to the throttle connector? ( direct or around the block ) and which part of linkage to attach it to? I would like to get a parts order sent out soon. Thanks for any help.

Back