Logo

Power Steering Pump - Mercruiser 3.0L OL057350

ebowles

Hello All.....new to this forum, but have owned boats for over 30 years.....my daughter got a 95' Sea Ray last Spring.....it has a 3.0L Mercruiser gas engine and is equipped with a power steering pump.....This Fall while winterizing, I noticed the pump reservoir was leaking and, being a thoughtful father, decided to "fix" it for her. I thought I'd go "first class" and stick with all OEM parts, so broke the bank on a genuine Mercruiser PS pump. Here's the problem....unlike the parts diagram, there is no "removable" stud on the back....in fact, what studs are mounted on this pump appear to me as not being intended for removal without damaging the unit......the problem is, without removing them, it is impossible to get the pump to mount in its bracket, as the bracket tightly grips both the front and rear of the pump with very little clearance.

I called the parts supplier where I purchased the pump and they double checked I have the correct pump.....while on the phone, we all verified the part number on the order against the Mercruiser parts diagram and engine serial number and they all match.

Later the same day, I spent over an hour on the phone with several folks from Mercury technical support.....they too verified the part number and insisted the part shipped is correct. I asked them about these "permanent looking studs" and they replied, " yes, we see those in our latest drawings....it appears they are not intended for removal".....when I asked how in the *&^%^ I was supposed the get the pump in the mounting bracket, they didn't have an answer. Maybe I got several idiots on the line, but to be fair, I obviously don't know how to mount it either.

I don't want to "horse" these studs loose (even if this is possible), break the part, and lose the $600 the part cost me. However, I'm at wits end as to how I'm to get this thing installed. Any help, advice, tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - EB

It's OK D, I can picture it. Seems like the bracket has a "U" shape. The pump sits in this U with a fixing stud on the back and probably a bolt thru the front. Poor EB can't figure out how to get the bracket onto the pump.
So, EB how much would you need to bend the bracket open to get the stud into the hole? Or is it a cast iron bracket that won't bend?

It's OK D, I can picture it. Seems like the bracket has a "U" shape. The pump sits in this U with a fixing stud on the back and probably a bolt thru the front. Poor EB can't figure out how to get the bracket onto the pump.
So, EB how much would you need to bend the bracket open to get the stud into the hole? Or is it a cast iron bracket that won't bend?

Cast iron....already broke one bracket trying to bend stuff ($140).....don't want to break the new one.

Studs are made to come out. Studs are used to make assembly easier, but you can use a bolt if you want. Put up a pic if you can. You must resize the pic to 800x600 before you try to upload or else it'll bounce.

The studs in question come out and they seal using O rings and if it was the metel cannistor that was leaking ,there relaceable for 40$

Hey Guys....got that stud off.....whew, I had to use a cheater bar on my socket wrench, but it finally came off WITHOUT DAMAGE! I guess I'm the only idiot to purchase an OEM power steering unit since Reagan was president, so the stud had been on there a long time.

I can take it from here....thanks again!
EB

Hey Guys....got that stud off.....whew, I had to use a cheater bar on my socket wrench, but it finally came off WITHOUT DAMAGE! I guess I'm the only idiot to purchase an OEM power steering unit since Reagan was president, so the stud had been on there a long time.

I can take it from here....thanks again!
EB
Good luck the rest of the way, remember no good deed (helping your daughter, which I’m sure she appreciates) goes unpunished...

Back