Logo

Water in oil. Help

Dynosaur

New to the forum so sorry if this has been asked before. I have a 2005 Suzuki DF70 with only about 150 hours. I am the original owner and the motor has been maintained and flushed since new.
I had to change the low pressure fuel pump because gas was getting into the oil and the pump diaphragm did have a small crack in it. Took the boat out striper fishing (trolling quite a bit). Came home and flushed the motor using ear muffs (as always). Decided to check the oil and found the level to be about 3/4 to 1 inch high on the dipstick and milky. Did not smell like gas. I drained the oil the next day and the first ~1 cup looked like water before the milky oil came out. Flushed the engine with fresh oil and it appears to have gotten the water out. I haven't had the boat back out.
I removed all the spark plugs and all looked good. No water or rust. I have inspected the externals of the engine and it looks almost new. No external corrosion.
Are the 2005 DF70's susceptible to internal corrosion of the engine holder like some of the 90's and 140's are? What else could/should I check short of taking the engine apart?
Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

Had the same thing happen, took entire engine apart, nothing wrong, They do not like to idle for long periods unless hot. Changed the thermostat to a higher degree one and problem solved. Another friend had the same issue and he also solved the problem with a new thermostat

Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the thermostat and it was stuck wide open. I replaced it with the standard thermostat and haven't seen any water in the oil since. Although I've only been out a few times since the replacement. I guess time will tell. Looks good so far. It just seemed like a lot more water than just condensation.

Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the thermostat and it was stuck wide open. I replaced it with the standard thermostat and haven't seen any water in the oil since. Although I've only been out a few times since the replacement. I guess time will tell. Looks good so far. It just seemed like a lot more water than just condensation.

That was definitely your issue, if it comes back go to a higher degree thermostat and your problem will be solved, good luck

Back