Logo

1971 Johnson 60hp (60esl71c)

abcjoyride

Contributing Member
Hello,
Been having electrical issues. Spark is intermittent strong. Fat blue spark sometimes. Mostly thin white spark across tester. Causing motor to run like it's dropping cylinders and missing. Can anyone tell me what the reading on my seira coil shld be when I put ohm meter on for both primary and secondary?

What I've checked
Battery=good fully charged, connection clean and tight,
Compression=150-170 across all 3 cylinders
Tested plug wires= good, plugs are new.
I've inspected and cleaned both parts to dizzy cap, rotor,
points set properly as per service manual.
Anti rev spring set properly
Fuel pump reconditioned, carbs synced, jets clean, floats set.

How are the low speed mixture screws set now ?------Did you replace rubber boots on plug wires at distributor cap ?----Perhaps run at night and look for spark leaking out.

Most important thing to do with that motor is deep-six the surface gap spark plugs----if not already done. Then replace them with Champion L77JC4 or QL77JC4 plugs.

Trying to "read" the spark color on CD ignition systems is mostly a waste of time. Fat blue sparks are a relic from the past.

Excellent advice, Gator. Follow Racer's advice too. These like to leak spark. If it's not the points, did you clean, gap, and check for continuity with your ohm meter? Then it's the amp. I might have a used one, otherwise try Tim's Outboard Hackensack MN 228 682 2331, Mike or Dan.

How are the low speed mixture screws set now ?------Did you replace rubber boots on plug wires at distributor cap ?----Perhaps run at night and look for spark leaking out.

No, didn't replace boots on wires. They seem good. Can they leak out that much?
Low speed mix screws set 5/8th turn out. 2 screws have loose plastic insert things tho. I'll probably need to replace, I could imagine they'll vibrate out of place.
Do you know what the seira coil should read on ohms?
I'll do a night check to check leakage.

Just found another problem. The amplifier wires have disintegrating insulation. It's the original amplifier pack. Seems to still check out. Could the wire arc to bracket and cause crap spark?

No, didn't replace boots on wires. They seem good. Can they leak out that much?
Low speed mix screws set 5/8th turn out. 2 screws have loose plastic insert things tho. I'll probably need to replace, I could imagine they'll vibrate out of place.
Do you know what the seira coil should read on ohms?
I'll do a night check to check leakage.

Can they leak? hmm crank it over and touch each wire with a wet finger. if you get a violent shock and feel sick, it's leaking! Just kidding please don't do that.

One of those wires carry a series of 300 Volt pulses to the spark coil. Yep, enough to arc out and/or jolt you.

Replaced, idle screw retainers, set 5/8 turn out. Pulled apart and cleaned carbs. Reset points again and checked continuity, also checked stator.
It runs on all 3 cylinders briefly (seconds) then runs like it's on 2 or 1 cylinder. Then runs all 3 again and cycles about like that. Fuel is good.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Could a bad coil cause it?

Waiting on your reply concerning the spark plugs. Lemme tell you, I was the tech in the Evinrude dealer shop that had to make those motors run when they were brand new. The original plugs were the biggest problem. So do you have the plugs I suggested or not? I'm willing to work with you if you pay attention and answer my questions.

No I don't have the L77v plugs. When I got motor they had ngk which worked well. I replaced them with the same and it's run great till recently when it started playing up. The ngk plugs are gapped .030.

I should mention for a while prior it would start up well cold, and go well while I travelled to fishing spot. When I'd restart engine it would do same thing as it's doing now which if you reved it up it would come right, go well all they way back and idle like crap which I thought was slow speed idle problem which I adjusted but to no avail.

How did you adjust carbs??? Best way is the water and adjust from lowest carb to top. Also check your rectifier as it a BCD ignition...the lower the battery voltage the weaker the spark. Running a lot of electronics,radio,bilge pump can drop the voltage. I do know that ignitions are highly suspectable to RF freq as had a customer with 2meter radio and linear, that when keyed made engine miss. Relocated antenna from stern and problem quit..

I have no expeerience with the NKG plugs in that motor, nor even know which NKG plugs you are using. So no comment from here on that.

Re: 1971 Johnson 60hp (60es

How did you adjust carbs??? Best way is the water and adjust from lowest carb to top. Also check your rectifier as it a BCD ignition...the lower the battery voltage the weaker the spark. Running a lot of electronics,radio,bilge pump can drop the voltage. I do know that ignitions are highly suspectable to RF freq as had a customer with 2meter radio and linear, that when keyed made engine miss. Relocated antenna from stern and problem quit..

Not running any extra electrical. Last time the rectifier went, it still ran fine, just didn't charge battery. I've checked it.
As for the carbs, service manual says to adjust #2 first followed by #3 then #1 which I've done.
I'm pretty sure the issue is electrical.

Back