Logo

1984 sportcraft with omc 350 stern drive trim problem

Napkinthief

So I got this boat for a steal of a deal but now I know why it was so cheap. Most of the wiring was corroded non marine wire. Anyway I rewired most of the boat. I have an issue with trimming the stern back up it worked fine going down. I dismantled the clutch and the trim motor works fine both ways. Put it back and wont tilt up if a friend lifts the stern while triggering tilt up it works.. I cant seem to figure out how to remove the trim motor or that screw that it turns. not enough space inside the boat and the cover on the stern isnseized in there

So I got this boat for a steal of a deal but now I know why it was so cheap. Most of the wiring was corroded non marine wire. Anyway I rewired most of the boat. I have an issue with trimming the stern back up it worked fine going down. I dismantled the clutch and the trim motor works fine both ways. Put it back and wont tilt up if a friend lifts the stern while triggering tilt up it works.. I cant seem to figure out how to remove the trim motor or that screw that it turns. not enough space inside the boat and the cover on the stern isnseized in there

I took off the stern and cleaned and greased the 2 bearings for the pivot. Still nothing. It goes up a tiny bit and will go down no problem

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Bein' an '84, ya got an ole 800 Stringer drive, 'n that's why it was cheap,.....

That's the Tilt yer workin' on, not trim,......
It has to be run at full down, or you'll eat up the ball gears in very short order,.....

If it's got Trim, the front motor mounts are hydraulically controlled,....

Can't tell ya how to fix it, as I know enough to avoid Stringers like the plague,....

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Bein' an '84, ya got an ole 800 Stringer drive, 'n that's why it was cheap,.....

That's the Tilt yer workin' on, not trim,......
It has to be run at full down, or you'll eat up the ball gears in very short order,.....

If it's got Trim, the front motor mounts are hydraulically controlled,....

Can't tell ya how to fix it, as I know enough to avoid Stringers like the plague,....

Thanks

It's got something to do with the worm drive but I cant figure it out. I'll keep messing with it though I'd appreciate any tips

Back