Logo

SP-C 230B Aft PDS seal

Ksandy

Hello everyone I am new to the forum.
I am trying to determine if the Aft PDS seal can be replaced through the Aft of the transom or if it has to be removed out the flywheel side of an SP-C 230B.
This is a boat I bought this fall. Bellows were leaking, some rust on the u-joints. Transmission is off, bellows, u-joints, shift cable, raw water s- hose are being replaced. I can see the aft PDS seal but am not positive if it comes out aft. By the parts pics there is a snap ring in front of it which to me says it is removed through the flywheel side. AKA engine removal. Seal is OK but will change it if it comes out the back.
Thanks for your knowledge in advance.

The AFT seal is removed from AFT. If you can’t get it to come out easily, drive a sheet metal screw into it and pull on that sheet metal screw.

Once the seal is out of your way, you will remove two large snap rings.
Now your PDS can be removed for bearing replacement.

Ok thanks for the info. that's great news. I was told it came out the flywheel side but from what I could see it came out the back. Manual just says remove the seals, snap rings and bearing but doesn't say from which side from what I could tell.
So after the snap rings are removed the bearing and drive shaft all come out the back?

A bit more info:

As we approached the C and later drives, the GM V-8's PDS became a single bearing unit, much like all Ford V-8 engines and the inline 4 and inline 6 cylinder engines used.

This PDS has a pilot nose at the front that fits into a rear crankshaft busing (the 4s and 6s used a bearing here) much like a standard car/truck transmission requires.
The Marine version pilot nose style requires only one ball bearing at the rear (a 6206 open or a 62062RS sealed) depending on whether or not the Flywheel Cover offers a grease port.

Since there is no FWD PDS bearing, this PDS can be removed from AFT.

Occasionally the Borg Warner splines will become rusty, and will prevent easy removal.
Apply some grease to the Borg Warner splines, and you will prevent this.

Back