Logo

J6RCRM Alternate coils availability.

Gazza265

Due to the huge expense of postage from overseas and the stupidly high cost of replacement parts here in Australia, can anyone suggest a viable and or cheaper alternative to the original coils on the above motor?
I do not wish to sound too much like a cheapskate, but when it is going to cost me a minimum of A$150 to source these coils from local suppliers or more than that from overseas, it sort of makes the idea of restoring an already running A$50 motor a bit out of kilter.

Cheers
Gazza

Last edited:
Model # was posted !!--------Curious as to what testing was done to determine the need for 2 coils for this motor.

Right, but I have replaced these (external type) too as they have occasionally cracked and arced both internally and externally. Got a couple big coffee cans full of them. If they arced externally, I have repaired them with a JB Weld plastic repair epoxy, but probably not the best idea.....kinda just experimenting. I'm gonna take a look at the 84's now in our parts guide here.

Still curious as to why OP needs 2 coils.-----When I pick up a parts motor the dealer rarely if ever removes the coils.-----Must be reliable and not much call for them.

Well, thank you to all for your replies, mucho appreciato.

The full gist of the story is that the motor has already got 2 different coils to start with, one original from what I can see and a ring-in from something not even remotely marine related judging by the looks of it.
Since I want to make this motor a well running reliable little beastie I figured that I may as well replace both with new coils and keep the old ones as spares.
The reason being I want the 6hp up and running is that here in New South Wales, a boat with a small hp motor of roughly 6 hp or less and isn't driven at 10 knots or more doesn't need to be registered nor do you need a Boat Licence to operate one. Now, I already have my boat licence as my other boat is a 23 ft F/G Half cabin cruiser with a 200hp "Black Anchor" and it is certainly capable of a lot more than 10knots.
This little boat will be towed behind my big one and used to fish up the shallow creeks and around the mangroves swamps where my bigger boat would be nothing more than a hazard to navigation should I be silly enough to venture into those 'skinny' waters.
As I said before, both coils function and the motor runs, but I want some uniformity and reliability, hence the desire to fit new coils that will give me those qualities but at a cheaper price than what I mentioned before. I also have a little Merc 2.2hp as a spare motor should the 6hp decide to play silly buggers on me.
Please keep the suggestions coming and if anyone knows of coils from other motor sizes or brands that will do the job, feel free to pass on your suggestions. I appreciate any and all info.

Regards
Gazza

You are halfway around and at the bottom of the world.------Here at my door those coils are $10 each.

Please, PLEASE don't rub it in mate, we here in Oz are so ripped off when it comes to parts for outboards it is not funny. We have no outboard manufacturing industry hence no spares to go with them.
I'd be tempted to ask you to purchase 2 for me and I would pay the freight and costs.
Like so much else here, we are strangled by our location and the huge costs of freight. It is so depressing at times, I feel like moving to the US to live the life I want without all the associated bull**** legislation that goes with living in this beautiful and wild country.
I used to have semi automatic rifles and shotguns before our stupid politicians outlawed their ownership, you guys have really no idea how lucky you buggers are.

You can use the coils off of any OMC motor using the cdi ignition. The differences are usually in the connectors Amazon has cheap generic ones that may be a little better with shipping.

We know exactly how lucky we are and my condolences to you. If decide move the Wisconsin/Minnesota and michigan areas are nice.

Last edited:
Just for kicks, I just looked up the postage rate for a three pound box from here to Australia. USD$43 for first class mail, USD$64 for Priority Mail So you are out 65 bucks or so before you even start to pay for the coils.

At the current exchange rate that equates to A$64.25 , or A$95.62, as I said, stupidly high postage rates. Then if the coils cost at the tops, say USD$15 ea, that is USD$30 which equates to A$44.82, add A$95.62 postage and there is A$136.44.
Would you guys consider spending that on a A$50 (USD$33.46) motor?

Sorry----What you paid for the motor or what the motor is worth today-----Has nothing to do with the price of spare parts.-------Perhaps invest in some " magnet wire " and make / wind your own coils.

Sorry----What you paid for the motor or what the motor is worth today-----Has nothing to do with the price of spare parts.-------Perhaps invest in some " magnet wire " and make / wind your own coils.
Hehehehe, careful, knowing me I would spend a $1000 to get the equipment to do just that and finish even further up poop creek...lol

No need for $1000 machines to wind a coil.-------You would wind it by hand just like inventors / builders of many years ago did.------I have a lot of respect for those folks who did this years ago.

Ha! My Dad once dared me to repair a 10 amp battery charger I found in the neighbors dump up in Ontario. It meant rewinding the transformer and replacing the diode. He had said: "I'll kiss your a** in front of the Post Office if that battery charger ever works again". Well I never held him to it, but we sure had some good laughs over that old battery charger. That was 30 plus years ago. I use it here at home....sure miss Dad.

Last edited:
Wound coils myself for " eddy current " probes.-------Used to inspect boiler tubes at the time.--------About 600 turns of 0.003 " diameter " magnet wire " on a 3/8" diameter alnico bobbin.-----If I did not have dozens of outboard coils on hand or was desperate.-------I would wind a coil by hand , just like they did in the old days.

Excellent, Racer. I'm old school, I'd sooner build it than buy it. Just takes a little thyme, a teaspoon of knowledge, and a dash of stupidity.

Back