Logo

Chrysler 318 cranking but not starting

Robdog1

Hi all,
went down to the boat today (1973 Luhrs) and tried to start the port engine. It started, ran fine for about 3 mins, then just as I was untying, it quit. No warning, no shuddering, shaking, noises, anything, just died as if it had been sapped. It did the same thing a few days ago, but fired right back up and had no issues until today. I’ve done the following:
checked/replaced coil and resistor
checked carb (it is getting fuel)
replaced fuel filter
checked distributor and all associated wires
checked plugs (not fouled)

I do smell fuel when I try to start it, so I would assume the pump is working. There is fuel In the carb, fresh, so I know it’s getting fuel to there. It ran fine before, it died the first time about 1100rpm, but was fine under heavy load (2700-3000rpm). Any ideas appreciated because I’m at a loss.

I'm guessing the engine would NOT restart after it quit today?

If so, I'd check for spark....a clip on timing light is usually the easiest tool for that.

It is always difficult to tell what is going on without being there, but here are a few things to check out.
  1. Dirt and moisture on Ignition wires and Distributor cap. Be sure that the wires, the cap and coil are clean especially around the towers.
  2. Cracked distributor cap, arching at the distributor cap contacts, or burned rotor. If any of the terminals are corroded be sure to clean them or replace the component. Clean the distributor cap tower inserts.
  3. Be sure the spark plugs and coil terminals are securely seated. Replace any cracked or arching cables.
  4. Faulty or loose wiring; check for loose wiring connections at the coil and key switch. If your boat is equipped with a neutral shift switch verify switch setting is correct.
  5. Faulty ballast resistor if so equipped; if the ballast resistor is faulty the engine may start but it will not run.
  6. Dirty or corroded points. Clean points and check for the proper gap setting.
  7. Fouled spark plugs caused by an over rich carburetor or excessive engine oil consumption.
  8. Ignition coil failure. Can be caused by voltage regulator setting too high; refer to specifications and make the necessary adjustments. Coil damage by excessive heat from the engine; replace coil and inspect the condition of the distributor points. Coil case, tower cracked or leak at coil tower; replace coil. Coil tower may have carbon track from tower to primary terminal; wipe tower clean and test coil.
  9. Improper timing; set distributor timing. Check for broken centrifugal advance springs and replace if broken. Check for loose distributor base clamp bolt.
  10. Dirt or water in the fuel line or carburetor; check for proper fuel pressure and presence of water. Make sure fuel filter is not restricted.
  11. Old gas; if ethanol gas is in your boat and fuel stabilizer was not added the fuel may have separated. Try a different source of fuel.
  12. Faulty choke; make sure choke opens after approximately 90 seconds of engine start.
  13. Incorrect carburetor float level setting or stuck float; check and correct deficiencies.
  14. Faulty fuel pump; check for proper fuel pressure.
Good luck

Back