Logo

Gas Tank Paint

solarman

What kind of paint was used on the 6 gallon fuel tanks? I want to paint and decal two tanks to use with a early 1960's outboards
Thanks

Solarman, are you asking if it was a lacquer, enamel, etc? I'd like to know that too. Does anyone know what they used
and what would be compatible today?

It was crappy direct-to-metal enamel that scraped off easily which is why those tanks are in such bad shape. The modern way is to coat with epoxy primer then topcoat with a tough urethane enamel. POR-15 makes a nice hard coating in a red that's very close to the original Evinrude/Johnson Cruise-a-day color.
If you don't want to commit that much effort and money to a tank, then try the POR-15 engine enamel. It is very nice stuff. Ford red should do the trick.

Excellent o2. I like Chevy orange for tanks. I use a base/clear, do lots of 'em. Really don't like plastic tanks anyway. I use an alkyd enamel....( Slow dry).....say a nice Rust-Oleum or Krylon. Primer is always good but never use a lacquer. Why? Lacquer has very poor rust resisting properties. After the primer and color coat, you can apply decals if desired. Next you activate your clear coat epoxy. Nason makes a beautiful and durable product, quite affordable. Any cheap spray set can do the job. I have a professional Devilbiss gun, but the clearcoats are very nice to apply and flow flat and smooth. Spray with good ventilation or right outside on a piece of cardboard. Overspray dries almost instantly so little worries.

Last edited:
Back