Logo

Puul start works, push start doesn't

Cripp1

I purchased a 2019 Mercury 20 HP electric start in March of 2019. Everything worked fine until around August. The electric start stopped working. It won't make any noise like it is trying to start. The pull start works fine and usually starts on the first pull. All my other electronics work fine, lights. sump pump & radio. Tried calling shops close to me, but nobody wants to work on an "Under Warranty" motor because they don't make any money. The store that I got it from is over 1 1/2 hours away, and I want to try not to have to take it down there.

You did not buy it from your local friendly shop ?-------Read your warranty contract.-----Call Mercury 1-800 number .----Or pay your local shop.----Likely will be cheaper than driving 3 hrs to visit the seller and 3 hrs to pick it up when done

Sounds like a 1 hour or less job, maybe can do it in one trip. It's gonna be something ultra simple. Safety switch?

You did not buy it from your local friendly shop ?-------Read your warranty contract.-----Call Mercury 1-800 number .----Or pay your local shop.----Likely will be cheaper than driving 3 hrs to visit the seller and 3 hrs to pick it up when done

I called Mercury. They told me to take it to a dealer near me. As stated, nobody wants to work on a warranty motor because they don't make any money. I've called every dealer within 50 mile of me. And no, I did not purchase from a local shop, and I paid a little over $400.00 less by doing that.

You should have purchased the mtr from a local dealer. Now you can take it back to the selling dealer if you want it fixed. I don't blame the local dealers at all. Been there !!

I started working at a Johnson Evinrude dealer in Duluth in 1972. At that time we did warranty work on everything no matter where it was purchased. What we have now is very depressing.

Everybody wants a deal but they don't think about the long run. We never make money on warranty work and being the mechanic I'm always the one who ends up on the short end of the stick. Electronics are just as bad, order it off eBay or Amazon then expect us to make a deal installing it. Luckily we have enough regular customer work we can turn down those jobs.

You should have purchased the mtr from a local dealer. Now you can take it back to the selling dealer if you want it fixed. I don't blame the local dealers at all. Been there !!

So pay $400.00 more, so hopefully "when" it breaks down, that they will "hopefully work on it. Yea, that make sense.

No, if you would have bought it from the local dealer I have no doubt they would have worked on it. If it's bought off our sales floor we will do whatever to keep the customer happy including warranty work even though we always lose on it. I just replaced a lower unit on a 150 Mercury that had 3 mths left on warranty, I found the issue winterizing it last fall, tore into it after calling Mercury, found a major failure they sent us a new replacement and we returned the old one. I had 6 hrs into it Mercury reimbursed us enough to cover 1hr shop time. I could have let it go and the owner would have been out $3k plus this summer, instead I did what any tech would do. The owner had no clue until we contacted him after we fixed the motor. That's the kind of service you get from a reputable local dealer when you pay that $400 extra.

Last edited:
All our local dealers are at the sports show now at our huge arena. Prices are great. Now is the time to buy in Duluth MN. I follow prices, might buy something this year. Thinking a beauty back to basics Kawie 4WD side by side....steel wheels, dump box, aggressive tires, olive green, nothing fancy.....$6000 drive it out the door. Sweet deal. Boats and motors good prices....once a year only. See that 400 horse Merc......instant "woodie".

Last edited:
The Big Dog, went back for another look.

Attachments

• IMG_20200216_155454834_compress24_crop_38.jpg
    IMG_20200216_155454834_compress24_crop_38.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 29
I came back to clear out my account because I was getting notifications. I checked out this thread and it reaffirms why I am leaving this forum. To the op you need to lean on Mercury to force a dealer to look at your motor. Dealers are supposed to honor a manufacturers warranty regardless of where it was purchased. To the Dealer/Mechanics who cry and piss and moan about warranty work, shut the hell up its part of the business. To the posters who add nothing of value and are just coffee clutching go to Mcdonalds.

To the Op I apologize for the treatment you got here . If you don't want to deal with Mercury I would buy a factory manual for your Motor. I would look at your neutral safety switch for why your starter doesn't work.

To the people who are offended or mad at why I said here OH Friggin well.
In post #11 it sounds like he will only put in the extra effort on motors bought from him. Maybe not the best choice for people who do not buy motors from him.

Great info, it has been 45 years since I worked for a dealer. Bob Dylan, born in my home town, Hibbing MN, in 1964 said "times they are A-Changin". Believe it or not, they certainly are....we can't go back. Mr. Scott, if you read this, honestly, I will miss you. Take care.

Back