Logo

2005 honda 225 1665 hrs with oil in top of lower unit shaft

cblunck

Hello Guys,

I went to start my port side engine this weekend out of the water; I do it every 3 weeks when I can’t use the boat. During the first minute some white smoke started coming out of the lower end of the mid-section steering axel, immediately shut her off. Dropped the lower unit and saw some residue of oil on the top side of the lower unit shaft. This engine has been losing a quart of oil every 20 hours after the oil reaches around the 50 hour mark with no signs of drippings. I took the starter off to check and see if there was any oil accumulation around the flywheel area but it was totally dry.
Has anyone ever experienced this sort of issue?
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-24 at 4.16.09 PM.jpeg
Thanks!

The only way oil can leak down the shaft is because of either the lower oil pump seal (91212 P01 003) or the oil pump to mount case seal (15113 ZY3 000). I would replace them both. You will need to get all the gaskets in order to remove and replace the power head.

The only way oil can leak down the shaft is because of either the lower oil pump seal (91212 P01 003) or the oil pump to mount case seal (15113 ZY3 000). I would replace them both. You will need to get all the gaskets in order to remove and replace the power head.

Thanks for taking your time and showing me the codes for parts I would need to buy. Do you think something like Lucas oil stop could work in the meantime as I am located in Venezuela and these unusual parts could take months to get here? Or maybe just be extra cautious and use the boat until I can repair it checking the oil level very frequently? Down here its all kind of do it yourself with these Hondas or end up in some crazy hands who dont really know what they are doing, not very many of these outboards around.

Cheer!!

Back