Logo

2006 honda BF 25 starting problems

bluffman2

well it sat up for a while and sure enough,ethanol got the carbs......rebuilt carbs,replaced plugs,fuel lines,filter, tank and bulb......can only get it to start with a small shot of starting fluid and then it runs good.....do I buy stock in the starting fluid company or what else could be wrong? air mixture is set back to where it was

Last edited:
CAUTION! Starting fluid is kinda like crack cocaine....if you keep using it, it can cause your engine to get "hooked". In the repair field we call these "ether babies". Even when you use that stuff properly and judiciously, it is still likely that a small bit of damage is taking place due to the explosive characteristics of ether. Very violent in the combustion chamber! I encourage you to look into using propane gas as an enrichment troubleshooting tool.

Anyway....questions:

Is this a remote control electric start model or tiller and pull start only?

After it starts and runs and WARMS UP, can you shut it down and restart ok? If so, then you probably just need to find out why it's not starting when it's cold. That would be a choke or enrichment system issue.

If it's hard to start all the time, there's probably more work needed to get the carbs cleaned properly.

Any additional info you care to provide may help someone here help you.

Remember....this is NOT a contest to see who can type the least amount of characters.

Good luck.

Last edited:
CAUTION! Starting fluid is kinda like crack cocaine....if you keep using it, it can cause your engine to get "hooked". We call these ether "babies".

Is this a remote control electric start model or tiller and pull start only?

After it starts and runs and WARMS UP, can you shut it down and restart ok? If so, then you probably just need to find out why it's not starting when it's cold. That would be a choke or enrichment system issue.

If it's hard to start all the time, there's probably more work needed to get the carbs cleaned properly.

It is a tiller handle with the choke being on the throttle. I’m wondering if the number one carburetor needs adjusting. Once it starts up and Runs for a few minutes it will crank with ease. Only after sitting 15 or 20 minutes does it not want to start

Were the carburetors synchronized after install? If they weren't synched, that could make it "balky" when starting.

Other than that, I would definitely be looking at choke system.

Good luck.

Were the carburetors synchronized after install? If they weren't synched, that could make it "balky" when starting.

Other than that, I would definitely be looking at choke system.

Good luck.
I marked the screws and returned them to the marks, is that what you consider syncing?

I might be wrong but from looking at the parts break down for the 2006 tiller model, it looks to have a by-starter enrichment system = no choke. Is this correct?

You said choke is on the handle. Do you push a button to cold start?

Syncronizing is not what you performed, you marked and put it back to the last known position. Syncronizing, you actually hook up a Carb Syncronizer Meter and while it is running you adjust to bring all three dials in line with each other so they are all operating properly. The meter tool hooks up a vacuum line on the intake manifold to measure the flow. You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap, and Dangar Marine on YouTube has a video instructing how to do it on a BF40, which will be almost identifcal to the BF25 platform.

Here is the tool I bought when I did my BF40.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MSJ7E6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

appreciate the link, is it possible that can these motors be synced without the meter? a friend is a airline mechanic and says he thinks he can do it, im just curious if it can be done?

It CAN be done with a a vacuum gauge or a homemade water manometer. But using the gauges is SO much easier and accurate I'm not sure why anyone would want to try these days.

Back