Logo

2010 Mercruiser 115 HP Outboard Rough running

jpburnard

I have had this boat and motor about three years, first year, dirty gas issues as it had sat a few years. 2nd year I got rough running again and replaced 2 pencil coils, 4 plugs and had fuel injectors cleaned and calibrated.

Started getting rough running again this last month, I replaced 4 plugs, 4 pencil coils, fuel line, added a water separator filter, and added a Vessel View Monitor.

Two different shops did the work on year one and two, the last months repairs and adding vessel view, I did.

Today I ran the boat and it went well initially running right up to 6400 rpm's ran there with 127 degree temp, 11 GPH . After a 20 minute run at 1600 rpm's i hit throttle and it lugged upto 3000 rpm and stuck between 3000 and 4000 rpm's, fuel GPH stayed low at less than 7GPH.

What I got from vessel view is a fault code: Camshaft Synchronization - Crankshaft or camshaft encoder is not working properly. (Picture with more detail is attached). Does this make sense to the symptoms? Any advice is appreciated, I would like to repair myself or is this a good idea for shop repair??

Thank you for advice and thoughts!! JohnBen 24_2020-01-25-16-20-55.png

Does anyone know what crankshaft encoder is? I have searched for crankshaft sensor and encoder and don't find any reference to these issues / parts???

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 128
Mykc,

Thank you, where did that information come from, I searched high and low looking for information. I would like to see more data there, please direct me to source of the info, thank you.

Mykc,

Thank you, where did that information come from, I searched high and low looking for information. I would like to see more data there, please direct me to source of the info, thank you.

Hi John
I got it off our mercury dealer network, take it to a dealer to hook up (check if its CPS or wiring problem)

Last edited:
An update on my 2010 Mercruiser 115 HP Outboard Rough running. Local Dealer shop changed the Crank Position sensor and same rough running issues remained, we ran it on the lake today and found bad wires at the 14 pin connection areas just into the engine side of the harness. We were able to shake the wire loom and watch the five volts going to sensors dropping off and returning. Not 5 volts not accurate sensors.

Now what will the fix be? Replace harness, repair a pin or two or solder new wires into loom? I will update as to repair once done.

Stay Healthy , John

Question if 5 volts is sent to all sensors.on a merc then how can u get high voltage code to map sensor? When ecu ,ecm. or what it is sends 5 volts . to sensor. If a short in harness. Wouldn't that short be all the time or intermittent ?

Question if 5 volts is sent to all sensors.on a merc then how can u get high voltage code to map sensor? I dont know.

If a short in harness. Wouldn't that short be all the time or intermittent ? It was very intermittent over the last year making it hard to diagnose, early on it was not leaving a code but the frequency and severity of short increased which helped us find the issue with good old fashion wire wiggling.

Back