Logo

can the 280 be fitted to work on the drive pictured (290)?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Can the 280 (no hydraulic trim etc) be fitted to the 290 intermediate bracket? are the helmets interchangable? Im 99% sure the drives themselves are the same-basically i want the 280s on there cos the 290 are very beat up

280:

20200124-124324.jpg

290:

IMG-20200124-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20200124-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20200124-WA0016.jpg

There are two large "Angular Contact" ball bearings in the AQ series transmissions.
One for the upper "driven" gear, and one for the lower "driven" gear.

The outer diameter of these bearings varies between models.

250 = small bearing
270 thru 280 and/or any Pre-A transmission = mid size bearing.
any A transmission = large bearing.

The upper Intermediate housing bearing bore is unique for each style bearing.

If your existing 290 is a Pre-A style, the 280 transmission can be made to work,
but ONLY after the proper shimming procedure has been followed!

If your 280 transmission will work on your 290 Intermediate housing, I would be glad to walk you through the proper shimming procedure. AQ series transmission style A vs Pre A.jpg

There was also a change to the female yoke spine count, as well as a change to the style of bearing crosses (u-joints) that were used.
Early universal drive shafts used the Chrysler style bearing cross (internally clipped), whereas the later style uses a bearing cross that is externally clipped.
This will determine if the female yokes can be interchanged or not.

Last edited:
I don't think that is the question the OP asked. I think he wants to install a complete 280 drive on the 290 transom shield/brackets.

I don't think that is the question the OP asked. I think he wants to install a complete 280 drive on the 290 transom shield/brackets.
Bob, you may be right!
When I read post #1, FstaRockr Burns
mentioned "290 intermediate bracket"
Since there is no 290 intermediate bracket, but there is an Intermediate Housing, I assumed that he was using the wrong terminology and that he was asking if the 280 transmission would work on the 290 Intermediate Housing.

The AQ series main components are;

Transom shield.
Main Suspension Fork.
(the 290 has an Anchorage Bracket attached to the suspension fork as well as hydraulic cylinders)
Transmission (upper gear unit).
Intermediate Housing (no internal moving parts).
Lower gear unit.

Can the 280 (no hydraulic trim etc) be fitted to the 290 intermediate bracket?
are the helmets interchangable? Im 99% sure the drives themselves are the same-basically i want the 280s on there cos the 290 are very beat up

So Bob, in answer to your comments, if he wants to use the 280 transmission, 280 Intermediate Housing and the 280 lower unit complete, he would need to disassemble everything and then move the 290 Suspension Fork over to the 280 Intermediate housing, and then reassemble everything.

Mr. FstaRockr Burns, if you do this, you will still need to pay attention to this:

RicardoMarine said:
There was also a change to the female yoke spine count, as well as a change to the style of bearing crosses (u-joints) that were used.
Early universal drive shafts used the Chrysler style bearing cross (internally clipped), whereas the later style uses a bearing cross that is externally clipped.
This will determine if the female yokes can be interchanged or not.

Post back and we'll clear things up.

ricardo thanks - yes sorry, thats why i uploaded the pics :)

I have circled below what I want to fit on the 280 so it can work - sorry for the bad terminology.

VOLVO-280-290.jpg

I think you might have answered - I need to verify if the 290 is the pre A or not?

Last edited:
Also the 290 has some off toothed thing on top of the helmet - what is this for? is it part of the trim system or what? the helmet on the 280 does not have this - so i guess this needs to be swapped over too or not? (i assume the sizes are the same on the 270/280/290 helmets? - ie they interchange although you have to match the single hole or 2 hole transmission style)

View attachment 22628

Also - is there any way to try and figure out what model of 290 it is? badges missing :/ it is a single prop so im led to belive its the earlier 290? ie compatible?

So Bob, in answer to your comments, if he wants to use the 280 transmission, 280 Intermediate Housing and the 280 lower unit complete, he would need to disassemble everything and then move the 290 Suspension Fork over to the 280 Intermediate housing, and then reassemble everything.

Thanks ricardo!

Looks like this is a pre-A cos there is no "sausage" ring around the 290 unit - thanks SO much again for the invaluable info!! Learned ALOT from this regarding interchange!!

Thanks ricardo!
You are welcome!

Looks like this is a pre-A cos there is no "sausage" ring around the 290 unit - thanks SO much again for the invaluable info!! Learned ALOT from this regarding interchange!!

Whether the 290 is an A or Pre-A, as long as you disassemble (remove transmission and lower unit) and remove the 290 suspension fork, and then bring it over to the 280 Intermediate housing, you can make it work.

And yes, the little "rack" gear on top of the helmet operates the drive position (tilt/trim) sending unit.
Keep the 290 helmet.

NOTE: the 290 will use the double bolt helmet pin.
Depending on what year the 280 is, t
he 280 transmission front collar must accept the double bolt helmet pin.
(from the 280 photo, it looks like a single bolt helmet pin)
If single bolt pin, you will need to be creative and come up with some type of bushing arrangement.

Keep in mind what I mentioned in post #4 regarding the female yoke spline count, and the potential differences in bearing crosses.

Last edited:
Back