Logo

1986 DT4 2stroke idle

jclays

Regular Contributor
Good morning
I recently picked up a discarded DT4 2stroke. Cleaned out the carb and gas tank, replaced the fuel lines and got her started. The motor will only idle if the choke is partially engaged. Once I open the choke all the way she sputters and stalls. There is a screw with a spring on the side of the fuel bowl. Is this an idle mixture screw? It was found closed completely.
Thanks in advance
Jim

There should be 2 screws on the side with springs as far as I remember, the big one is the air/fuel mix screw and the smaller one the throttle stop screw. Turn the big one outwards 1 & 1/2 turns from soft stop. I would clean out the pilot jet and main jet again to make sure all the small passages and holes are clear - use compressed air and carb cleaner. I use a thin guitar string to open closed holes etc.

There should be 2 screws on the side with springs as far as I remember, the big one is the air/fuel mix screw and the smaller one the throttle stop screw. Turn the big one outwards 1 & 1/2 turns from soft stop. I would clean out the pilot jet and main jet again to make sure all the small passages and holes are clear - use compressed air and carb cleaner. I use a thin guitar string to open closed holes etc.
Thank you
These are on the side of the carb. There are also 2 on the fuel bowl. The one on the bottom is a drain and for disassembly what is the one on the side of the bowl with a spring on the screw?
thanks
Jim

I was wondering if you where going to ask me about that one haha, I could never figure out the function of the screw, most outboards have a fixed "jet" in there. They call it an adjuster but never specified what it adjusts, I would just keep the setting generic - 1 & 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop on this adjuster - if it leaks fuel from there just turn it inwards until the leak stops. The main thing you have to look at is the little brass pipe that came out when you disassembled the carb, it goes back in a very specific way - the end with all the holes is the top side, if you get it the wrong way around it will run very rough.

Ya with one turn out i'm leaking fuel. Will turn it back in closed. Will remove the carb again not convinced its 100 percent clean.

Back