Logo

Bypassing VRO fuel pump 1987 Evinrude 60hp

Omcking

Hi all, I know you can bypass the vro fuel pump and go to a diaphragm pump. However I have no idea which pump I need to purchase to get the right amount pressure. If someone could throw a link up for the correct pump that would be great.

thanks.

Find the fuel pump for a 3 cylinder 65 HP " commercial " model.-------Most years of that model use just a simple pump.

Appreciate the replies guys. Believe I will be ordering the pump for the 3 cylinder model off of maxrules.com. Hoping it works and gets the boat back on the water

Boat will fire up but as soon as you give it gas it’ll die. Took it to my mechanic and that is what he said was wrong is the vro pump so once I got the carbs all cleaned and back together now I’m needing a pump.

Highly possible Bovine scat....
Sounds like sync and link is off or carbs not done properly. Will it start and idle over 2 minutes? Do you hear the VRO click about every 30-50 seconds?

Pappy could be right, although you couldn't say I'm in love with old VRO's. Newer versions have adjusted oiling ratios and are ethanol resistant. Did you try creating additional fuel pressure by pumping the sqeeze bulb and making sure the fuel supply is vented? If the unit has been exposed to ethanol, however, it may be damaged.

Last edited:
Well when I got the boat back the mechanic had taken the carbs all apart and scattered them so I just got them back together and am fixing the rest of the stuff he broke. He had it for 8 or 9 months so kinda foggy on memory. I haven’t got the boat to fire up again yet however before we took it to the mechanic im pretty sure it would fire up and idle for over two minutes hopefully I can get it started today and see what’s going on.

Alright the boat is back alive however. I have a few issue. So I can get it to fire up and run. Hell I can throttle it all the way up but it eventually runs outta fuel it also seems to have a high idle. Second I can’t get reverse. Put the throttle back to reverse and it sounds like it’s grinding but no reverse. Hoping that’s nothing major.

Could be back to what Pappy mentioned, I'll appeal to him to extrapolate. Reverse could be something else, but likely just an adjustment too. Since this is not electric shift, it isn't "rocket science"......sorry I'm not a huge fan of electric shift either, but it is kinda cool stuff. In all its complexity, its pretty neat......just keep the water on the right side of the case, eh? One of our techs here embraces the electric shift technology, but I'm kinda on the fence......same thing with VRO's.

Last edited:
How long is "eventually"? If the VRO is bad it will not cycle to keeps the carbs full and it will run out of fuel. Need more details....

Suppose I need to actually time how long I can let it run. Maybe a minute just depends sometime it’ll run a couple minutes other times it won’t run 30 seconds I’ll try to get a more accurate time tomorrow.

I believe I’m gonna go through and check the timing and then do the link and sync process to be sure I have the rpms set right and everything is adjusted properly.

Back