Logo

1956 30hp drive shaft bushing in lower unit removal.

Jonathan P

I’ve recently inherited a RDE-18C in pieces and getting ready to rebuild.
The drive shaft bushing is badly worn and drive shaft isn’t to far behind. It doesn’t look like there was any lubrication in this area. Two questions. Is the drive shaft supposed to pick up the oil in the lower unit to the bushing and what’s the best way to remove the bushing? I’m guessing it’s pushed out from the bottom but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan P

So the pinion gear is okay? Look things over good. If the bushing is shot, you may have more problems. Send a few photos of you can and we should cover this in the main forum.....not the "fuel/oil mix ratio". Then we can collect more help, more readers. I drill out all or part of these bushings, then make something fit. Get what you need from local bearing/seal shop, or order on line. Pretty safe to assume it had water in it that caused the problem. 90 weight lower unit grease tends to flow around and soak with capillary action everywhere.

Last edited:
Some of those had a " full floating " bushing that just slipped out.----Have a few on hand I think , driveshaft too.------With oil level correct the oil gets into that bushing.

Thanks for the feedback. Starting to get into it this weekend. Freed up frozen shift and throttle linkage. Will post picks and more info in the proper forum.
Thanks again

Back